Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2009, 07:31 PM   #1 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Red face Water Change Schedule

Ok here's the deal. I used to clean my 2.5G's once a week and my 1G twice a week but I've found that they get dirty VERY fast, so I have decided to clean my 2.5G's twice a week and my 1G three times a week. I am using A LOT of water conditioner. Does anyone use a water conditioner that comes in a huge bottle? I keep having to get more because the ones that I see in stores are in small bottles and I go through a bottle in a week. Here's my schedule which is pretty intense: 5 tanks Sunday, 3 tanks Monday, 5 tanks Wednesday, 5 tanks Friday. I'm a clean freak, so I want to make sure that my fish stay clean and healthy. For those of you that know my struggle with my black DT Phantom, his fins are getting worse. He's been out of medicine for a couple days to calm down and tomorrow I'm going to start giving him salt. Hopefully that helps!
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:37 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I bought myself a large bottle of Prime. Prime calls for 2 drops per gallon. I go through a lot with 10 fish.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:27 PM   #3 
sandystar

Hi, I'm pretty new but have you went online and looked at pet supplies there? So far I have found that online pet stores have better prices and selection of items compared to the physical location stores.

Also do you use a filter system? That could help. They make a filter for small tanks, that is suppose to improve water quality. Its called a Elite mini, and it has a rectangle shape, so if your tank is round its not a good pick, but according to petco website users its pretty good.
sandystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:59 PM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Yeah they probably are cheaper online but I don't like using my credit card and buying things online. No, I don't have any filter systems because I have 8 tanks and I don't have the kind of money to spend on that.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:22 PM   #5 
PetsGalore

I believe the 2 bottles I bought today of Aqua Plus were 473 ml...if that sounds right. Found them on clearance at my local Walmart 9$ each they were the only 2 left otherwise I wouldve bought more
PetsGalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:56 AM   #6 
kelly528

Are you conditioning by the gallons you add orthe total tank volume? I used to put in 5mL per 10 gallons for my 10 gallon tank until I realised that since I was only putting in 2g of new water, I would only need 1 mL of water conditioner.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:49 AM   #7 
Kim

I bought a large bottle of API tap water conditioner and have been using it for 2 years now with no sign of it running out. It is super concentrated and calls for 1 ml per 20 gallons and since I only go through 5 gallons for my weekly 20% changes it lasts a long time. However, I've heard very good things about Prime and so many people swear by it that I think I'll give it a try next time I need to buy some.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:15 AM   #8 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Thanks guys! I'll look for Prime the next time I go. Would Petco and Petsmart sell it? I go by the gallons b/c I do 100% water changes.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:27 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Petsmart should have it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:20 PM   #10 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Ok, thanks DQ!