Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #1 
bettabeauty

Divided Aquarium. Betta's not getting along!

I have a 6 gallon aquarium that i have divided with one betta on each side.

One betta is totally chill with the whole idea. The other one is constantly flairing and trying to push through the divider to fight the other guy!

How many days do I give them to warm up to one another before I move one of them to a different home?

I put them in Thursday night...
bettabeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #2 
doggyhog

Give it about a week more. They should calm down soon.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:19 PM   #3 
ChristinaRoss

ya i agree with doggyhogg
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:40 PM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Yeah, usually by a week or two they get used to it. Putting plants up against the divider helps also.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:53 AM   #5 
dh5daaaccfdd

Exclamation

You sould NOT have bettas in the same tank even with a divider.
dh5daaaccfdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:05 PM   #6 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Some people think it's mean to put two bettas in the same tank even with a divider because they are fighting fish, but that's your opinion. I've had my first two together for over a year and they actually get depressed when I move them apart. When I put my first two together my thoughts were, well they flare at their reflection, so what does it hurt to put another fish beside them when they're just going to flare anyways? In a week or two they calm down and they don't mind it. My first two barely flare at each other and I have some that never flare anymore. Even though they do occasionally flare, they realize that they can't get past the divider so they get over it. I do think that they enjoy each others company. I read somewhere that they rarely kill each other in the wild, the only reason why they kill in tanks is because they can't get away once their done bullying. I don't know if this is true or not, but it kind of makes sense.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:16 PM   #7 
bettabeauty

Ah, well they've finally calmed down. They still flare a little but it is nothing like it was a few days ago. Actually, in a weird way they seem to becoming buddies... I came in the room the other day and both of them were resting/sleeping on two leaves right across from each other.
bettabeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:44 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

There is nothing wrong with putting two males in the same tank as long as it's divided. They'll flare at each other for awhile but they get used to each other.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:32 PM   #9 
sandystar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaxFishxCrazy View Post
I read somewhere that they rarely kill each other in the wild, the only reason why they kill in tanks is because they can't get away once their done bullying. I don't know if this is true or not, but it kind of makes sense.
According to The Betta Handbook by Robert J. Goldstein, Ph.D you are correct. That in the wild the defeated male retreats and relocates. And in the Animal Planet book for Aquarium care of Bettas they suggest that flaring is a good exorcize for the bettas.

:) I like books, but I do agree that either keeping multiple bettas in one tank with dividers or having tanks next to each other is a personal choice. There is no right or wrong too it.
sandystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:33 PM   #10 
doggyhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh5daaaccfdd View Post
You sould NOT have bettas in the same tank even with a divider.
Actually, mine do fine!! I have three males in a divided tank and they actually like the company. :)
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote