Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #1 
PetsGalore

Splitting Tank

So I just got a 15 gal that I would like to split because I feel my female needs a proper tank not the bowl she is currently in and I would like to downsize my male (ive only had for 2 days; I couldnt pass him up when I saw him but def wasnt prepared for his housing) from the 20 gal Ive stored him in . I know I need the aquarium sealant but thats about all I know any suggestions on what products to purchase to split my tank?

THANKS!
From Starsky&Princess ( The two who will be sharing the tank haha)
PetsGalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:40 AM   #2 
chrisb1221

You could actually make a cheap divider for the tank from common walmart items for less than 5 bucks. I don't have a link for the tutorial but just search the site for tank dividers.
chrisb1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:04 PM   #3 
MidnightAngel

here's a link for easy ones:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/
MidnightAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:38 PM   #4 
ChristinaRoss

i personally have used plexiglass from home depot and have also used plastic sheets from hobbylobby and report binders from office max. it is much much cheaper and easier to work with than plexi. and to me, ALOT nicer to have a seethru divider than using mesh.

i can make a 4 way divider for a 10 gallon tank for $8
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:49 AM   #5 
PetsGalore

Thanks for the tips everyone. I would much prefer the see through divider also than the mesh. I will take a look around and maybe even experiment a bit on other possible products as well.

I will be sure to tell of how my ventures went hahah
Old 11-09-2009, 08:32 AM   #6 
bettabeauty

Just something I would like to point out... I'm pretty new at the whole betta thing, but I have two bettas in a 6 gallon with a divider. I am noticing that it looks like the water on the side of the tank without the filter looks dirty on the top, while the other side looks clean.

Not sure why this is... but I'm sure the answer is either get two smaller filters or get a different divider.

Currently, my divider is this see-through thing I found in a pet store. It actually looks pretty good, but I am wondering if the holes are just too small to allow filtration on both sides.
bettabeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:42 AM   #7 
ChristinaRoss

its because its not getting enough water flow to that side, bettabeauty, your right
Old 11-09-2009, 09:16 AM   #8 
bettabeauty

Christina- Thanks. What do you think I should do? Get two different filters or get a different divider?

I'm guessing if I get two different filters, they should each be for three gallon tanks?
bettabeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #9 
ChristinaRoss

thats the easiest way to do it. or you could get craft plastic from a hobby store and make your own dividers and drill it with ALOT more holes in it. its time consuming.
its what i do, but because its much cheaper to do it that way, but, i have so many i need to keep the costs down as much as i can.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:01 PM   #10 
PetsGalore

So I went out looking for supplies today and found the plexi glass at home depot but was unsuccessful at finding the things to keep it up on the sides. Luckily though I had to stop off at the pet store with my dog. I walked down the fish supply isle just to have a look and what do i find?!

15-20g tank dividers and 20g tank dividers at clearance prices. Originally $9-13 clearanced at $3.19 ish each for the 15-20g and $6.29 ish for the 20g. I got the last four two of each type of divider and saved just as much as I would if I did them myself. SCORE!! hahah