Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2010, 09:53 PM   #1 
jeanclaudeasher

Sick Betta??

Yesterday and today my betta has been resting? on top of the filter in his tank (see pictures below). The first time I saw him there I thought that maybe he had gotten himself stuck but then when he saw me he swam straight over to the glass and said hi. He eats normally and periodically swims around but for a long period of time he has been sitting on top of the filter. Visibly he looks totally normal and when he swims around he acts normal. Tomorrow is the day I clean my tanks and I'm thinking of moving him to one of the smaller tanks (he is currently in my 29 gallon tank and the smaller tanks are 2 gallons). Any ideas?
Attached Images

jeanclaudeasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:55 PM   #2 
Adastra

The current is probably too rough for him and there likely aren't enough places for him to hide/perch near the top of the water. Some tall plants or floating plants near the surface might be very helpful.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:59 PM   #3 
jeanclaudeasher

Yea I got a floating plant to add when I clean the tank and bought a divider to fit this tank to put around the filter (I did this with my 10 gallon tank and it reduced the flow from and intake and outake from the filter at the same time and helped my crowntail from getting stuck to the intake).
Old 10-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #4 
Posaune

Yeah, you'll wanna get him nice resting areas. Plants are great for it. I bought some water hyacinth and frogbit. The frog bit on little guys side sorta clumped underneath the surface on one part and he likes to go into the tangled roots/leave and shill there sometimes. Also, consider buying a resting leaf http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Betta-.../dp/B0027IZ6KW Little guy doesn't use it all the time, but Starburst (the other male I have) likes to use it once in awhile. They also have a coconut? floating ring for them. I found both at my petsmart, though the ring was a bit too expensive for me at the time.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:09 PM   #5 
jeanclaudeasher

Thanks for the ideas, I will see how he does once I add the divider and floating plant and then maybe stop by petsmart and get a resting leaf if he seems to need it.