Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2009, 11:05 PM   #1 
dwcb1125

Exclamation i dont know what to do?

hey there, i randomly found this website and i hope someone can help me.
my betta fish isnt doing to well right now, hes been laying on his rocks for the past week and he barely moves. It looks to me as though he may be dying, but once in awhile he will get up to eat. For some reason when he does eat though, he misses the food as though hes not seeing it very well.. Also he seems to be getting a white area under his gills... Is there anything i can do? I hate to see him just die and not be able to help. He was lively two days ago when i cleaned his tank but then he went back to laying down. HELP! thank you very much
dwcb1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:13 PM   #2 
dwcb1125

By any chance, does anyone have any suggestions to what kind of tank i need for my betta, and what i should be adding to his water... ive been reading other posts and when i bought him no one at the store told me to do/use anything... they had said a fish bowl and water conditioner would be fine, and to make sure i clean his bowl atleast once a week.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:26 PM   #3 
doggyhog

What is the temp. of the water? Bettas need their water to be around 75-82 degrees F.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:33 PM   #4 
kelly528

Lesson 1) Never go on the word of a fish store employee. Ever. Always back up with research.

Your betta will most definitely get ill in a bowl... did you know that they actually need higher temperatures than most 'fish-tank' fish?

The betta care sheet is a good place to start.

Until you can find a proper tank (The Minibow 2.5 by all glass is an awesome one), you will need to change your guy's water once per day. When you upgrade, the bigger the tank, the less cleaning you will have to do. So finding a good size is truly a matter of finding a tank that is

a) Small enough to fit where you want to put it
b) Big enough for the amount of maintenance you are prepared to do in it.

For starters, a 1.5g, Like the Tetra Water Wonders 1.5, will need to be cleaned about every 3 days. A 2.5g tank: every 5 days. A 5g: every week.

My only advice in choosing a tank is to avoid buying an Eclipse tank... they have an awesome filtration system an are perfect for most fish, but their strong current will just blow your betta around like a leaf (those huge fins act like underwater sails).
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:17 AM   #5 
dwcb1125

to be honest with you, i am not sure of the temperature... i believe its probably alittle cooler than 75-82... my other bettas are fine though, alive and well... its only him.... is there anything i can give him, or do for him?

do i need to buy a 5 gallon tank for my other bettas as well? or can i put a divider in the tank.... and i need a filter as well you are saying? im sorrie i just want to make sure i have everything correct
Old 11-13-2009, 08:23 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

You can divide a 5 gallon. This will give them each 2.5 gallons. A filter isn't absolutely necessary, it helps to keep the water cleaner.A filter is needed if you are cycling a tank.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:43 AM   #7 
dwcb1125

okay good, i will begin to work on that and get the tanks i need..... also should i be putting anything special in their tanks... right now i only have those glass marble things u put in bowls and i use water conditioner to get rid of some minerals in the water

and wait lol i still dont know what to do for my fish? does anyone know what could be wrong with him?
Old 11-13-2009, 08:53 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

It sounds to me like it could be fungus. I would treat it with Maracyn.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:34 PM   #9 
kelly528

You'll also want to put some plants (fake or real) or hidey holes for them. Just be sure to file down any sharp edges.

Hold off on Maracyn unless you see cottony fuzz, but keep a close eye on it. May be a bit of gill rot.

Dividing a 5g should work awesome... just be sure that the bettas cannot jump over it and go mano-el-mano on each other.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:48 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yes, a divider needs to be secure.