Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-13-2009, 02:25 AM   #1 
paxt0n

Talking It's me again :)

I am planning on buying a 10-gallon setup, with a heater and filter, tomorrow or the next day.

I think I know how I should go about transferring the betta to the new, heated tank, but I want to make sure.

Currently, he does not have a heater. So, my guess is that I should let the new aquarium water reach "room" temperature, transfer the betta and then turn the heater on, to gradually heat the water. Is this correct?

Also, I just bought a gallon of "Drinking Water" that is tap water, purified by Reverse Osmosis. When reading the care FAQs, it says not to use R/O water. Is this reverse osmosis water?

I am planning on changing the water in his current container tomorrow, and I don't want to use water that I shouldn't.

I'm getting a 10-gallon Aqueon deluxe setup from the Petco down the street. I can't wait to let him free in 10 gallons of water!Brian

P.S. Any suggestions on what kind of small fish to keep with a betta?

Last edited by paxt0n; 11-13-2009 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Forgot to ask:
paxt0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:29 AM   #2 
paxt0n

I've noticed that there are A LOT of testing strips and "correction fluids" available to purchase. I'm curious which ones, if any, you recommend. There is a "master test kit", which seems to be the best, but is also very expensive. What do I need to test for and how open? Thanks!!g
Old 11-13-2009, 10:21 AM   #3 
paxt0n

I meant to ask "What do I need to test for and how often?" Sorry...I was dozing off as I was typing this last night.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:06 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

If you are cycling a tank, you need to test for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. The API freshwater master test kit is the one that is recommended. The test strips aren't accurate.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #5 
Jupiter

Actually, you let the tank heat first. I've heard that big changes in temperature can be stressful for bettas. Let the water heat up, then float him in the aquarium for about 15 minutes and slowly acclimate him.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #6 
paxt0n

Red face Cycling

As a newbie, I'm not sure exactly what constitutes "cycling a tank".

Please explain. :)
Old 11-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Here is a sticky on cycling.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...ium-cycle-252/
Old 11-13-2009, 02:19 PM   #8 
kelly528

Hmm... I'll tackle tankmates:

The general rule you will want to stick to is 1" of Adult Sized fish for every 1 gallon. Since your tank is relatively small, go with fish that reach no longer than 2" when fully grown. Always research the adult size of the fish... people who fail to do this often literally wind up with a fish that will grow longer than the tank, even if it was only 2 inches when they bought it.

Also, never choose a tankmate based only on advice of a pet-store employee. They very rarely know what they are talking about.

Some options:
-Buy some dividers (or make your own), divide the tank into 2 or even 3 compartments and get 1 or 2 more bettas.
-Get some African Dwarf frogs.
-Get 3 or 4 cory catfish to clean up the bottom.
-Get some apple or mystery snails.
-Get a school of neons (be careful, sometimes they nip! Get at least 6 to keep them busy).

And lastly, always research a tankmate for compatibility and don't be afraid to ask us if your 'stocking plan' will work.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:39 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Not all bettas will tolerate tankmates. It depends on their personalities.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:01 PM   #10 
ThePearlFish

You can just use regular tap water for your tank just add a good dechlorinater to it before putting in your fish or you can let the chlorine dissipate from the water by keeping jugs of water out for about 12-24 hours (i think that is the time amount, can't remember exactly) before adding it to the tank.

~TPF

Last edited by ThePearlFish; 11-13-2009 at 03:04 PM.
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote