Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-13-2009, 05:18 AM   #1 
Owlets

AAH emergency!!

So i posted about frank's strange white dot on his head - well, thats gone now, and is replaced with a horrible case of fin rot in a matter of hours!!

it has been insanely hot where i live lately (40 degrees celsius, about 100 degrees fahrenheit) and the house has no air conditioning, so having my hot lamp on my desk all day as i usually would has been out of the question. do you think having the lamp off today/curtains closed caused this? i make sure he gets the right amount of lamp time at the end of the day when it is not as hot. if this is the reason why, i dont know what i'd do, i feel so bad already!

i checked on him this morning and gave him his food and everything was fine, he had grown all his fins back from the last case of fin rot which wasn't to this scale at all. :( it's only on his tail, nowhere else.

he's still eating fine and playing around as he normally would, and his colours are normal and not faded.
i dont have any water testing kits, as i'm new to fish-keeping/betta keeping. his water has no filter yet, but his heater has been working perfectly fine and he has been happy and healthy.

please help, i'm so worried, frank is part of our family and i don't want to lose him D:! thankyouuuu!
Owlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:45 PM   #2 
kelly528

TBH, that looks a lot more like tailbiting... espescially if it happened over the span of a few hours. Any changes (besides the heat) that might be stressing him?

Also, how often do you clean? How much water is changed? Does the tank have a light?
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:20 AM   #3 
Owlets

Ah, really?
I haven't changed anything around or done anything differently lately, although my friend seems to think the change in food i made recently might have caused something.

His tank doesn't have a light, but i have my desk lamp as i always have that lights up his tank evenly.

I clean properly every week or so and do a half water change every few days.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:39 AM   #4 
Owlets

I did more research, and this sounds more like the problem:

A bitten tail should not be confused with a 'blown' tail. When a male is described as 'blowing' his fins, it is a term associated with the curious abberation that occurs in some heavily-finned males that are swimming or flaring too hard. The webbing between the rays develops pin holes and the ends of the tail begin to fray, like an old flag that has been whipping around in the wind. In extreme cases the caudal fin completely disintegrates, leaving the betta with spikey ray extensions and no webbing to speak of.

He recently got a new 3.5 gallon tank, much bigger than what he was in before, so he's been swimming and flaring at everything like a madman, being generally excited and curious. so, maybe he swam too hard and flared too much?
Old 11-14-2009, 05:12 AM   #5 
Owlets

One more note, the fraying has progressed to his top fin now D:
Old 11-14-2009, 07:49 PM   #6 
kelly528

FIN BLOWING:
Ends of his fins look as though they have split.
Fins have have tiny pinholes.
Primarily affects the tail and anal fins.

TAIL BITING:
Fins just gone in between the rays, with the rays spiking out.
Primarily affects the tail and dorsal fins.

Sometimes over-flaring is the result of a betta seeing his reflection when the light hits the glass a certain way. This can be fixed by taping white or pastel-colored paper to the sides of the tank to dull the mirror effect. Conversely, dark or black backgrounds will enhance the mirror effect so stay away from them.

Whoop- just got another look at the picture and that is definitely tail-biting. Fin-blowing is more of a clean split, with no chunks missing.

I would still give the paper thing a shot, maybe seeing his reflection is making him agitated and scared.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:40 PM   #7 
Owlets

Alright, thanks a lot :'D