Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-13-2009, 10:17 AM   #1 
bettabeauty

Should I get a betta as a work buddy?

I am working for a small nonprofit, and about 50% of the time I'm the only one in the office! I'm also not crazy about my job right now and can get totally depressed... I need a friend.

So, I'm thinking about getting a 1.5 gallon tank with filter, heater and one betta. I don't want to get anything larger as I don't want it to be obtrusive.

Though, I have a couple issues, and I'm just looking for some second opinions.

1. There is a good chance I'll be getting a new job in a few months. How much of a pain will it be to pack up the betta and move? Should I wait till I get my new position?

2. The building I work in is old, and they shut off the heat at night and on the weekends completely. Will my betta be okay with a heater in its 1.5 gallon tank, or will it still be too cold when I'm not here? I'm in the North East, so winters up here are brutal.

3. Is a 1.5 gallon too small for a betta? Could I keep two female bettas, or maybe one betta, a snail and a shrimp?

4. Where can I find an inexpensive 1.5 gallon tank?

Thanks!
bettabeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:49 AM   #2 
bluebettafish

Hello. I'm a relatively new betta owner so I can't give you any technical advice but I thought I'd share my experience. I love having my betta in my office! My clients and coworkers like seeing him, too. I have a 3 gallon tank (with filter and heater) and so far I have gotten no complaints about it being too big, etc (in fact I think it's perfect size). I had a bit of a problem with a moldy smell but it's not like it stunk up the whole room. I've gotten better at keeping it clean and it is doing great right now. It's kind of a hassle going back and forth between my office and the bathroom when doing water changes but I've figured out a good routine.

I am in LA so it never gets that cold, but it is always a concern leaving him (like the long weekend coming up). I have coworkers who also have betta so they can take care of him when I'm away. Smaller the tank, the easier the move, but I don't know if you can find a heater for a tank that size.
bluebettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:56 AM   #3 
Calmwaters

I would suggest at least a 2 gallon tank a 1.5 may get to hot with most of the heaters on the market. As long as you have a good heater he should be fine because even though the room will be cold his water will stay warm. It is not hard to move a betta just keep the cup he comes in put him in it and take him where you need to. I have a total of 7 tanks at my office, 7 male bettas and 6 female bettas, but I am the only one here and I can do pretty much what I want. LOL. You could not keep anything but the betta in a tank that small. All mine are in 2 gallon or larger. 2 males are in a divided 5 gallon and my girls are in a 10 gallon.
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:02 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would agree with at least a 2 gallon, then you can have a heater in it. It wouldn't be that difficult to move. You can take the fish out, put him in a temporary container, move the tank to it's new location and just treat it like a water change.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:20 AM   #5 
ChristinaRoss

great advice there dq and calmwaters!
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:23 AM   #6 
doggyhog

Yep. Great advice from those gals!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:48 AM   #7 
Calmwaters

We have learned from the best on here. LOL
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:34 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

lol!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:58 PM   #9 
kelly528

You can purchase a 1.5g tank called the Water Wonders 1.5 by Tetra. This, and a 7.5w Hydor Mini Heater will work, provided you are only keeping 1 betta and cleaning it twice a week. My main concern is that you probably will not have the time to clean it more than once a week. I therefore suggest going with the All-Glass Minibow 2.5. Many betta owners (including the popular blog 'Nippyfish') give it rave reviews.

I would not go with any snail larger than a Nerite (aka Zebra) snail in a 2.5g, but in a 5.5g perhaps you could accomodate a mystery snail. Another good option for a 2.5g is a ghost shrimp or two-- far less bioload than a snail.

As far as maintenance goes, I would recommend cycling it before you get the fish... this will make maintenance way more office-friendly. I get away quite easily with cleaning my 2.5 (with a Betta & Zebra Snail) 40-50% each week, via siphon (gravel vac).

The only other precaution I would take is to definitely get a tank with a tight-fitting lid, so no windex/lysol/etc mists the tank while the cleaners are doing their thing.

I have to add that keeping 2 females is unfeasable, as one will pick on the other. Thye need to be kept in groups of about 6 to distribute aggression.

Last edited by kelly528; 11-13-2009 at 01:04 PM.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote