Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2009, 06:56 PM   #1 
New2Betas

Looking to buy a betta for the first time, lots of questions.

I have a 2 gallon fish bowl and would love to get a beta for it. I plan to have it set up well in advance but have no idea where to start!

Can anyone educate me on how to pick a healthy beta, what bread is best, what plants to choose, and how to keep him happy and healthy for a long time? Thank!
New2Betas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:27 PM   #2 
Jupiter

It's nice to see people doing research before they buy the fish!

A 2/2.5 gallon is the minimum for bettas. You'll need a heater for him-his water will need to be at least 74 degrees. The optimum range is around 76-80 degrees farenheit.

You don't need a filter, and it people say it's difficult to cycle small tanks. Your bowl should be cleaned out probably twice a week. I have a 2.5gallon myself. I do a 50% WC on Wednesdays, and 100% on Fridays where I also take out the plants and decor and wash them.

Live or silk plants are preferred for bettas. You can pick plastic ones, just make sure they're not sharp or rough-they'll tear your bettas fins. you should also provide a hiding place for your betta.

When choosing a betta, look for a healthy one. His fins shouldn't be frayed, torn, or curled. He should have a good, vibrant colour. Laying down or floating on top of the cup isn't a good sign. He should have clear eyes that aren't bulging.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Good luck!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:37 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Jupiter covered it very nicely! Welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:20 PM   #4 
New2Betas

What kind of plants do you recomend?

Great news is that I actually measured the amount of water the bowl can hold. I thought it was 2 gal but I was wrong! Using 2 liter bottles from soda,it turns out that the bowl holds a total of 4.75 gallons, so about 4.25 gallons since you dont fill it to the rim. Not bad!
Old 11-12-2009, 11:22 PM   #5 
Jupiter

I use silk plants ersonally. I don't have enough light to tae care of real ones. Silk plants are made from fabric-they look like fake plants, pretty much.

That's good! There's about 4 liters er gallon. Your betta will be very hapy in that.

Oh and, excuse my weird tying...some of my keys are stuck.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:30 PM   #6 
New2Betas

So according to this site there are several kinds of betas. Are some better for that size tank then others? (Someone on here said that if the tank is too small their guts will grow but their bodies wont and they will die?) With that size bowl how often should I clean the tank? What is the best heater? How long should I set the tank sit before adding a betta?
Every betta I have seen looks depressed and don’t swim much in their tiny cups. So how can I find a healthy one?
Old 11-12-2009, 11:37 PM   #7 
Jupiter

Well, there is a sticky here about the different types of bettas. Apart from CTs, which are more sensitive to cold/dirty water, I don't really know if there are any other specific conditions per type...

But whoever said that is probably referring to those who keep bettas in those crazy little designer cubes that are less that .5 gallons, or things like that. 4 gallons will make quite a nice home for your betta.

I don't know a lot about heaters. I've been going through a bunch myself because I can't find a decent one. :P

With a 4 gallon, if you're not cycling it, I would maybe do 100% WC a week. But I'mnot sure about that one, maybe someone else will give you a better answer.