Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #1 
NobleNoob

Need help new to bettafish forums

Hi, i'm new to the betta fish forums! I just had a question! I got a used but perfect with no scratches 40 gallon tank off of craigslist. (I have my betta, Mr. Nibbles, in my 10 gallon tank.) I have the tank with a glass cover. I purchased online yesterday a thermostat heater 100w, a 55/57 Oversize filter (cleaner the better!) a bunch of random fish food, a siphon for aquariums, a bunch of filter sponge thingies, black aquarium sand substrate (very fine), a 36" Fluorescent Strip Light, a giant rock with plants (silk) growing off of it, tons of more silk plants and a giant rock cave. a lot of ornaments lol. Usually I put like a small leaf in xD. Oh yeah, also I got bacteria in a bottle, its like API Quick Start water conditioner. I got normal stress plus water conditioner too. So, my main question is what kind of fish for a 40 gallon tank? its standard shape, pretty long than wide. I wanna have some nice bigger fish in it. I know oscar fish need at least 75 gals. So no, sadly...:( (my betta is prob going in there) I wanna have really intelligent fish, with a lot of personality, and that is fairly large (maybe like an oscar or a little less XDDDDD) I plan on getting like 4 cory cats because I got the smooth sand for that, Mr. Nibbles is hanging at the top prob, cories usually on bottom. But, I'm looking for a nice sort of large fish with personality etc. that would hang in the middle. I would prefer a colorful one. And remember, LARGE. (more than one in the middle pls, maybe schooling behaviors) Please, give me all ur opinions input etc. I am in need of ideas of fish.
NobleNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #2 
jayr232

Barbs, angelfishes, German blue rams, gouramis or some african cichlids. There's alot of fish out there that can do well in your aquarium
jayr232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #3 
jaysee
Reference Team

Large is relative, and a 40 gallon is not that big...not with regards to larger fish. What do you consider to be big for a fish?

What are the dimensions of the tank? 36x18?

Are you planning on keeping your betta in the 10 gallon or the 40?
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would not keep a betta with all those other fish, especially gouramis. Bettas are solitary and territorial as are the gouramis.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #5 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayr232 View Post
Barbs, angelfishes, German blue rams, gouramis or some african cichlids. There's alot of fish out there that can do well in your aquarium

No, no and no... Barbs are very aggressive and will kill the betta, Angelfish can be aggressive and the betta can go after them. Rams are okay.. sometimes... need to go into detail about the hundreds and hundreds of cichlids, can't just generalize it.. gouramis are a big no with male bettas - both are labyrinth fish and gouramis are very territorial at the surface.

The ones you just listed are NOT idea with a male betta. If you remove the betta from the tank then sure, can have some of them.. don't mix them all up - don't want barbs with angels, etc.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #6 
Hallyx
Reference Team

If you like Cory, they like schools of 6 minimum, 8-10 or more is even better. Work with Jaysee on this. He knows more about it than anybody here. Love to see pics as you go along and when you're done.

Myates' suggestion is a good one. Leave the Betta in his 10g and build yourself a nice, balanced 40g community. You'll have more options that way.

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by Hallyx; 12-24-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #7 
Myates

40g isn't big in a relative term for aquariums.. you can get a couple larger of a particular cichlid species - but you will have to go through them all and see their needs and research. DON'T follow any 1" rule on stocking - look at the temperament of the fish you are interested in, and their space needs. Keep in mind the bio load when stocking. I would just do basic searches on community freshwater fish and see what you can find that way :)
Old 12-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #8 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
If you like Cory, they like schools of 6 minimum, 8-10 or more is even better. Work with Jaysee on this. He knows more about it than anybody here. Love to see pics as you go along and when you're done.

Welcome to the forum.
I have to disagree, he listed fish that are deadly to each other and to bettas.. I have 20+ years of experience in stocking freshwater tropical tanks, and when I saw that list I cringed. Not with a betta - have to look for peaceful tropical fish and then it depends on the species - most tetras should not be housed with a long finned male betta and so forth. Best bet is for the person to find fish he loves, then make a list and post it here asking yay/nay on them and then taking with a grain of salt what some people say as obviously people can give deadly advice.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

Hallyx mentioned Jaysee not Jayr232 :P

Sent from Petguide.com App
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #10 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
I have to disagree, he listed fish that are deadly to each other and to bettas.. I have 20+ years of experience in stocking freshwater tropical tanks, and when I saw that list I cringed. Not with a betta - have to look for peaceful tropical fish and then it depends on the species - most tetras should not be housed with a long finned male betta and so forth. Best bet is for the person to find fish he loves, then make a list and post it here asking yay/nay on them and then taking with a grain of salt what some people say as obviously people can give deadly advice.
I don't think they intended the OP to keep all those fish together, or with a betta. I think that they were just saying that there are a number of different fish that can go in a tank of that size. I know I wasn't clear if the OP intended to keep the betta in the 10 or not.

I agree that the betta should stay in the 10 - that will greatly open up your stocking options for the 40.

Last edited by jaysee; 12-24-2013 at 04:01 PM.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
api, betta fish, cory cat, help me, question