Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-13-2009, 11:37 PM   #11 
sandystar

My Petco typically takes good care of the bettas but I have found a few dead ones. It makes me sad, so I let someone know, because I would feel bad if a little kid found it after I saw it. Ya know?

And even though I'm new the day I bought my guy they looked at me so strangely because I was getting a heater and a mini filter! (round bowl and rectangle filter don't mix :/ )

But tomorrow I'll be there getting another betta!
sandystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:04 AM   #12 
kittytango

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggyhog View Post
Good job!!! I'm gonna get a job at a pet store as SOON as I'm old enough! Then I could take real good care of the fish there!

That's what I thought I would do, and So I got a job at Petco when I was 22. I was going to college to be a RVT and was Hoping to help Petco take better care of all the pets. (Seeing as I had or had once had most of the pets they provide and it always bugged me to see how crappy they are taken care off) It took me 6 months to prove myself so I could get off that damned regiseter and actually help, but after 1 year I became a Team Leader incharge off all animal departments! I made sure those betta cups were cleaned everday We had far less die when I was incharge, to bad I left after I got out of college. Sad to see how the store has gone to hell again, so now I shop at Petsmart, at least everytime I got there the fish department guy ask me about my tanks before just selling me what ever fish I point to. "Sure that Bala shark will be fine in a 10 gallon with 2 goldfish and 6 neons," That always gets annoying........
kittytango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:55 AM   #13 
Jupiter

Yesterday I want to Petsmart while I was wiating for my aunt to finish up at Costco. There was a lady and her daughter by the bettas talking to one of the workers.

From what I gathered, the lady was keeping the betta in a small fishbowl by the window, unheated, doing 100% a week, and it had died.

Well, the employee said that she seemed to be doing everything well, except that when she changes the water she should only do a 50% change. She said "the water may be icky for us, but if you do 100% changes you'll be getting rid of the good bacteria in the bowl". She also said that he might be getting chilly in front of the window, no mention of direct sunlight.

But at least she had the sense to tell her that bettas are tropical fish that need warm water. She said 78 degrees is optimal.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:21 PM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't think they understand that you can't cycle a small bowl. If it was a larger tank with a filter then you can't change the water 100% or you lose your cycle.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:52 PM   #15 
ChristinaRoss

why cant they just TRAIN these employees?????
aaaaaaaaaaaaack
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:10 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

I was told once that all containers, even the cups the bettas are kept in will build up beneficial bacteria.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:24 PM   #17 
Prince Fredrick

Hey guys! That was very superb of u dramaqueen! Well I'm Prince Fredrick! I actually just joined and I got my Betta yesterday. I only have one and he has a humongous bowl compared to the ones at the store. I think that the stores don't treat them like an owner would. They probably underfeed them. Don't clean out the bowl enough. And this goes for all the pets:
Cramped Spaces.
Well I'm sorta claustrophobic so that would be awful! Well I hope i make new friends here that like the same things as me.

My Betta

Prince Fredrick. A beautiful orange-red crowntail. Male
Bettas rule!

Last edited by Prince Fredrick; 11-15-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Prince Fredrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:34 PM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

Welcome to the forum, Prince Frederick!
Old 11-15-2009, 08:03 PM   #19 
ChristinaRoss

welcome to the forum!
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:00 PM   #20 
CodeRed

I have a goal of becoming an employee of Petco someday, either in the reptile or fish section ;P I have a buddy there already (lol, I think I've mentioned him a few times), and I adore animals, so it would be a dream job of mine. I just need to get over my fear to talking to people ;x It might... make things complicated in that type of job.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote