Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-29-2009, 10:53 AM   #1 
AlexXx

Marimo balls...

Alright id like to pick up a few of these guys today:

I saw them at the petco a few towns south, and im headed that way today ne how!

I was wondering if i could cut it and mold it around a piece of drift wood, tie it on with some dental floss or something till it adheres? or will this not work? Also ill put one in my sorority, but just as the ball, i think they are so cool and interesting looking! Do they need any serious light? or pretty low light? Thanks!
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #2 
ChristinaRoss

i found this info alexx:

Well, for one thing, this algae is a dream-come-true aquarium inhabitant. Its an exception to that "avoid algae at all costs" rule most aquarists have. Tame as they may look, these guys are like nutrient vacuums and will out compete practically any other algae which tries to grow in the same water body as itself. This, of course, keeps the water that it grows in crystal clear. Marimo is non-invasive too, so it won't spread and infest the tank it grows in, but remain in its ball form. Also, Marimo can actually move around by itself! Well...almost. It traps air bubbles when it photosynthesizes and under high light conditions, it traps enough air to move around the tank(if there are more bubbles on one side) or even float. Thus its not unusual to see it in one corner of its tank in the morning and at a different location in the evening.

Hardiness: Just won't die.
Growth speed: Sloth personified
Generally, Marimo is extremely hardy and it is actually very difficult to kill... They will survive in temperatures between 3-30 degrees C, with a preference for cooler water. . Marimo is very forgiving when it comes to light as well. Basically, if you see it producing bubbles of oxygen you've got a good spot. Note that it will stop doing this when the carbon dioxide in the water runs low.
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:31 AM   #3 
AlexXx

hmmm, ya i read alot of that stuff, it seems amazing, i might even get one and make some smaller balls for my 2 2.5 gallons to keep the water cleaner. cuz after a few days they get a bit cloudy.

I guess the driftwood idea i have would be ok?
Old 10-29-2009, 11:44 AM   #4 
doggyhog

I love those!!!! I think I may get one or two for my Sorority.... Err future sorority. :)
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:48 AM   #5 
AlexXx

haha, well im off, ill let you guys know what i make out with!
Old 10-29-2009, 11:51 AM   #6 
ChristinaRoss

ya it should be fine growing on the driftwood, BOIL the driftwood first though!
Old 10-29-2009, 12:07 PM   #7 
AlexXx

how long!? im setting up my 5 gal today and 2marrow.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:08 PM   #8 
Calmwaters

I have 2 of these one is in my Soriety and the other is in my 44 gallon. I have had them for several months and they do grow very slow. They may float when you fisrt put them in your tank but do not worry they will sink shortly. Very, very easy to take care of. I personally would not tear them appart because they look very pretty as a ball.
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:02 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

They sound pretty cool.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:53 PM   #10 
ChristinaRoss

for your driftwood, boil the water until it stops turning brown, it wont hurt the tank to have tanins in it, but, itll take a month or 2 to get it out. i boiled my driftwood for hours and hours to get it all out, and kept changing the water every few hours. and let it cool obviously before u put it in.

ya i like the ball shape too, the stores never seem to look too good when i look for some though