Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-24-2009, 12:54 PM   #11 
bettatoon

hello again, yes my tank has a black cover on top. is it the cover causing the evaporation? thanks.

Last edited by bettatoon; 11-24-2009 at 12:55 PM. Reason: complement
bettatoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:29 PM   #12 
paxt0n

Exclamation

No, the cover is supposed to help to stop the evaporation. That is why I asked.

I'm not sure what might be causing so much evaporation.

I don't seem to have that problem. You may want to post a new thread about it, that way more people will see it. Maybe you'll get more help that way.

Good luck!

paxt0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:39 PM   #13 
vaygirl

Yeah, I have a cover too. I don't know why I lose so much. There's no leak, there's a cover, the fish aren't smuggling it out while I sleep... :P

Or at least... I don't think so. Maybe my house plants are so desperate for water, they're drawing it from my tank.

I have live plants IN the tank. Are they drawing it out? I have two Anubias nana, a HUGE water wisteria, two four leaf clovers and some java moss. This is my first planted tank, so I'm a newb. :D
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:08 PM   #14 
paxt0n

I'm sure the plants could explain your water loss.

I'm not completely familiar with aquatic plants but I'm assuming, like any other plant, they "feed" on water. So, they are probably your "culprit." Of course, they make oxygen and help with the nitrogen cycle, too. So, I wouldn't get rid of them.

I don't have any live plants in my tank. Are they hard to take care of? I see all of the "crap" at the fish store to "take care of" your plants...everything from special filters, to Co2 tablets, plant "food", etc. I've wondered if you actually need all this stuff, or if it is just junk they try to sell to you.
paxt0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:22 PM   #15 
vaygirl

Well, my water wisteria grows like crazy and I don't do much of that stuff. My anubius nana are also thriving. My four leaf clover are alive but not growing very much and my tank seems to be the only one in which java moss is slow growing. So, I think if you make sure your plants are low light and/or beginner, you can do it. I bought a florasun light for plants and sometimes drop some Flourish liquid fertilizer in there. That's the extent of my care. :)
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:36 PM   #16 
Glockafella

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
I lose about a gallon a week in my tank (16g). You can just replace it when you do a water change. Evaporation? My house is like the sahara desert, so I don't know where all that water really goes.

I concur, I put about 3 oz of water in my tank a day to keep it topped off.
Glockafella is offline   Reply With Quote