Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-14-2009, 10:07 PM   #1 
laurie07

Some questions?

Hi, I am wondering about a few things.

1. Do I need to use an air pump of any kind?

2. I am having a really hard time with the filter... I bought one but the flow is too much for the betas. I can't find a really good internal filter that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. (This has turned out to be impossibly expensive already!) What else can I do? Is there a way to slow down the amount of water that's coming in or something? Ideas?

3. What are absolute necessities for the tank?
laurie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:26 AM   #2 
Ender

1. No, not unless you plan to use a sponge filter. An air stone, which is what pumps are normally used for, will probably create too much current for the Betta.

2. My Betta was super sensitive to current. I recently bought this: Red Sea Deco Art Nano Filter from Petco for about $12-14. I have it on a 5 gallon tank and though it is rated for up to 3 gallons, it works VERY well. You can even adjust the flow if you need, but my current-sensitive Betta doesn't complain with it on full blast.

If you are set on an internal filter, a sponge filter would be idea. They are relatively inexpensive but require a small air pump ($10-15) and hose.

3. You will want a heater (around $12), either sand or gravel substrate ($5-10), and a filter of some type ($12-15). I think that would cover the absolute minimal necessities. Of course, you will want to add some decorations such as plants (fake are okay) for privacy. A lot of people buy small caves as well. Of course, you could make one with mug or small terracotta planter turned on it's side.
Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:36 AM   #3 
laurie07

Thanks

Thank you. I have a heater. I was thinking that a good filter would be way more, its a relief that its not. I have all of my fish by themselves because the water wasn't safe for them. I have a test kit on the way! Yay! It's kind of a bummer they can't be together yet! I will look out for that filter. I have the gravel and real and fake plants (when the real plants grow I am going to take out the fake ones.)
laurie07 is offline   Reply With Quote