Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2009, 11:56 AM   #1 
charliehasacola

Talking My first impuse buy....

So, I bought a Betta fish at the dreaded Petco.... She was the only healthy fish left and I had to save her before she ended up like the others. Her bin was labeled as a Female Crowntail, the lid to her bin was labeled as a Male Plakat, and she was in the Vieil Tail Section. I have named her Theodore, but I'm not sure of her fin type. She is definately a female, for she is smaller in size and has two dark stripes down her side. She isn't a Half Moon, but she isn't a Plakat; her fins are too long. She's light purpleish-pink/grey/translucent and is in a decently szed critter keeper. It is not one gallon, but she has plenty of room. No heater, no airation. She is sitting on a table a couple feet under a window so she has light, but not direct sunlight. I do have a concern as far as her eating goes. I have some basic Betta Pellets, and I also puchased some kind of freeze-dried shrimp while I was there. The shrimp and pellets are too big to fit in her mouth, and I have some freeze-dried bloodworms at my house I'm going to bring over to use as treats with the shrimp. If I cut the shrimp and bloodworms into smaller pieces, will they be alright? I'm going to try to cut the pellets in half, too. I thought about flakes but I don't use flakes due to them expanding. She seems to be eating good aside from it not fitting in her mouth. (she keeps picking at the shrimp) So I'm glad she's eager to eat. She is just getting comfortable swimming around her tank. She has so much personality and I've only had her for a short amount of time. I love the way her eyes move as she looks around. I'll post photos and measurements of her tank and of her, too on Monday. I'm at my father's house, but my camera is at my mum's. I can't get her a larger bowl, but I'm thinking about picking up some Bettafix just to make sure she stays healthy, because I fear her getting finrot like her fellow inmates at Petco. Please give me any information you think I may need.

- Charlie.♥

Last edited by charliehasacola; 11-15-2009 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Forgot a sentence of description.
charliehasacola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:01 PM   #2 
Jupiter

She sounds cute! But if your room temp is colder that 74-80 degrees, she'll need a heater.

If you soak the pellets and brine shrimp, they should be easier to eat. Brine shrimp uncluster when you soak them, so they're tiny.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:03 PM   #3 
charliehasacola

These aren't brine shrimp and the room is like 80 degrees.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:04 PM   #4 
Jupiter

Oh, I guess I read your post wrong. What type of shrimp are they?
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:07 PM   #5 
charliehasacola

It says Gammaras(sp?)
Old 11-15-2009, 02:31 PM   #6 
charliehasacola

For right now....

This is all I have right now.
Here is a horrid photo of her when she was on her way home;

I'm sorry its so big and of such bad quality. I took it with my tele. I just posted this to get some oppinions on what fin type she is, and maybe even color strain, although I can get better photos of her coloring on Monday.

Here us the shrimp I bought. (the exact same thing, I pulled the photo off the Petco website.)

They are about the size of a pencil lead.

-Charlie.♥
Old 11-15-2009, 02:46 PM   #7 
HopeInHeart

So pretty! Are you sure she's a female? Those fins are quite big. Does she have a white spot on her belly up near her ventral fins?
HopeInHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:46 PM   #8 
doggyhog

That is defiantly a male!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:48 PM   #9 
ChristinaRoss

ya that looks like a MALE deltatail to me
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:53 PM   #10 
charliehasacola

There is no white spot that I know of, but she is very light. I'll take another good look at her tomorrow when I go back over to my father's. She has very prominant stripes down her side, though and she is tiny. Her fins look very long in that photograph. All the males I've ever come across have had a 'forehead' and the females have always had the stripes. I'm a little worried about her getting fin rot, and I'm scared her top fin is getting it and one of the two little fins by her head. I'm always paranoid when it cpmes to my fish and diseases....