Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2009, 02:03 PM   #11 
ChristinaRoss

males can also get stripes......check in good light for the white spot..........certainly looks male
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:10 PM   #12 
charliehasacola

Would the white spot mean she's a she?
charliehasacola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:12 PM   #13 
ChristinaRoss

yes
Old 11-15-2009, 02:34 PM   #14 
Elaina

That definitely looks like a male delta tail to me...
Elaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:58 PM   #15 
charliehasacola

Well, like I said, I'll look when I'm over there again tomorrow. Now, what do I do about the food situation?
Old 11-15-2009, 03:11 PM   #16 
ChristinaRoss

just take a cup and get a little bit of the tank water and put the pellets in it for about 5 minutes, then pour it into the tank, they will be softer and easier to eat. he only needs 2 in the am and 2 in the pm, more than that and it can cause constipation and other problems, dont overfeed. the shrimp, i would only feed once or twice a week as a treat.

and he/she will probably color up greatly in a few weeks. i have a male that looked like yours when i bought him, pale, now he is intensely purple and burgundy, i cant believe its even the same fish, lol

good luck, and welcome to the forum
Old 11-15-2009, 03:23 PM   #17 
charliehasacola

I tried that, but they just absorb water and grow larger. She's going to be on a diet of pellets with Bloodworms on Monday and Shrimp on alternating Thursdays/Weekends. Also, I fear her water is too cold. What could I do to heat such a small tank without cooking her? I may be getting a 10g for Christmas, but until then, what do I do? I only have a heater made for a 5g that's pre-set to 78 degrees (from my early aquarium days) but it's going to be too much for her 1/2-2/3 of a gallon tank. I'm going to set up a desk lamp over her tank tomorrow afternoon because her tank looks really dark do to positioning in the room and the dark colors I chose to highlight her pale colors. The gravel is dark blue, there is a purple silk plant, a burgundy silk plant, and a dark brown Buddha ornament. As far as bouyancy problems go, can only fancy godfish get them, or can Bettas get them too? She seems to stay towards the top a lot and when she swims down, she slowly floats back up unless she swims. (can you tell I don't impulse buy and I'm completely paranoid about not knowing anything about Bettas?)
Old 11-15-2009, 03:24 PM   #18 
charliehasacola

Also, Christina, would you be able to post a photo of your Bettas new and improved colors? I'm curious. :)
Old 11-15-2009, 03:40 PM   #19 
ChristinaRoss

well the pieces will tear up easier to eat when their wet, i have a few i have to do this for too. i think your going to have to use the lamp to provide heat until u can get a bigger tank. i think the other heater u have might be too strong, you could try it and use a thermometer, but ive heard alotta people on here say its too strong for so small of a tank.

heres the pic of the one i said was simlar to yours when i bought him, look at him now.........
Name:  purple dt 3.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  66.6 KB
Old 11-15-2009, 03:42 PM   #20 
ChristinaRoss

also, yes, bettas can get swim bladder disease, he/she might just be weak from not the best care at the store. give it a couple more days and keep watching the behavior, most fish improve once they find a healthy home.