Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #1 
mikeys betta fish

Is this a good plant for a betta?

I don't remember the name and i wasn't able to do any investigation on plants before buying them. It was nice and looked like a good place for a betta to hide so i bought it. I'm unsure if it would harm my betta. it doesn't seem like it but I'm unsure
Attached Images

mikeys betta fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #2 
Rana

I don't know about the leafy ones to the sides, but the bamboo in the middle needs to be at least partly out of the water; if the leaves are submerged it'll die and start to rot. I have some stalks of it with just the bottom of the stems underwater and it's been doing great. Also it looks like it's tied together? I'd make sure there's no metal in the tie, since that isn't good for fish.

As far as I know all live plants are safe for bettas if taken care of properly, it's the fake plastic ones that you need to watch out for.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #3 
mikeys betta fish

The leaf on the bamboo just barely floats up. Have more taller ones so I'll just replace them. Yes it's tied in with a rubber band. I'll be sure to take it off. Thanks for the advice!
Old 12-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #4 
Shadowsun

The ones on the left and right look like anacharis if you were looking for an id on those ones as well.
Shadowsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #5 
mikeys betta fish

That's what it was! thanks a lot
Old 12-29-2013, 06:57 AM   #6 
Mamato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana View Post
I don't know about the leafy ones to the sides, but the bamboo in the middle needs to be at least partly out of the water; if the leaves are submerged it'll die and start to rot. I have some stalks of it with just the bottom of the stems underwater and it's been doing great. Also it looks like it's tied together? I'd make sure there's no metal in the tie, since that isn't good for fish.

As far as I know all live plants are safe for bettas if taken care of properly, it's the fake plastic ones that you need to watch out for.

Hi...Just wondering why the fake plants are bad? I am new to the betta thing, sorry. I have 2 silk ones with big leaves and my bettas love them. I clean the plants a few times a week and watch for fungus or anything else growing on them. They are soft so they will not harm their fins. I do understand that some live plants bettas can eat and they are more like real life. Again, sorry for the questions. I am brand new and owned my bettas for a week. Always looking for advice and tips for experts. Thanks so much.
Mamato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:05 AM   #7 
isntanything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamato3 View Post
Hi...Just wondering why the fake plants are bad? I am new to the betta thing, sorry. I have 2 silk ones with big leaves and my bettas love them. I clean the plants a few times a week and watch for fungus or anything else growing on them. They are soft so they will not harm their fins. I do understand that some live plants bettas can eat and they are more like real life. Again, sorry for the questions. I am brand new and owned my bettas for a week. Always looking for advice and tips for experts. Thanks so much.
Silk plants are fine. Sometimes ones that are made of plastic can be spikey or sharp and these can tear delicate fins. Bettas are carnivores and really don't care what the plants are made of as long as they aren't sharp.

You don't need to keep cleaning them either if you don't want to. Beneficial bacteria will live on the plants and help your tank to cycle.

Some people prefer to keep live plants because they like the challenge and how they look. The also help maintain the tank by absorbing ammonia. But they aren't necessary.
isntanything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #8 
Mamato3

Thanks so much for the insight. My tank came with a plastic plant and the betta would not go near it. I took it out after literally a few hours when I saw him pulling away and avoiding it. Both my bettas seem good with their silk ones though. They are in there all the time. I will also try to not clean it as much. Learn something new everyday! Thanks!
Mamato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #9 
NozzALa

Yeah, nothing wrong with silk. I tried real plants for a couple of weeks but they just didn't do well and it was too much of a hassle to keep them healthy. I much prefer silk plants.
NozzALa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, decorations, plant