Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2010, 06:32 PM   #1 
kuklachica

White thing behind chin fins?

wow, i feel like a new mom paranoid about everything!

there is a white thing (looks like skin?) behind my betta's chin fins (sorry, don't know the name). I don't remember it being there, but then again, I have only had him for a little over a week and have been gone for 4 days of that time. It doesn't look fuzzy... just kind of looks like skin hanging there, or a piece of fin or something. Can't tell if it is getting bigger, tho it does stick out more when he has eaten and his stomach is a little bigger than usual.

his other tank mates (2 other bettas in divided 10 gal) have no problems. i gave him a salt bath yesterday and only noticed this for the first time after the bath.

is this something i should be concerned about? keep an eye on? he has not been "itching" on anything.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:35 PM   #2 
kuklachica

P.S. The fish I am referring to is Sherbert, on the right. I am not able to get a closer picture, and his chin fins are usually in the way. This is the best I can get.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:47 PM   #3 
JamieTron

Hey there, I would keep an eye on it for awhile, see if it gets bigger or smaller or doesn't change. Also try to watch for any other signs of illness just in case.

As for the bigger belly I am just guessing he is well fed at the moment. In that pic he looks nice and full

It is good you gave him a salt bath though to prevent any illness, also looks like he had some tourn fins or degradation. The salt bath should help that as well.
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:01 PM   #4 
kuklachica

I usually only feed him 2 or 3 pellets a day, but all 3 of my boys are pretty small so it shows up a lot i guess? he came with those fins like that and they only seem to be getting worse not better :-/ he has salt in his tank, as well as the salt baths (started yesterday). don't know how to tell if/when his fins are getting better?
Old 01-04-2010, 11:03 PM   #5 
JamieTron

Well it'll take awhile, but there will be eventually be re-growth on the tail which will look see-through (but I see you betta's tail is see-through...so I guess it'll look like it is just getting longer again). If your salt baths are not working and the tail continues to degrade then you probably have some finrot that needs medication. I would hold off on medication until you know the salt baths have not worked for sure though. Just keep note of his progress. I'd say his fins don't look overly bad there, just normal petstore conditions. You know how petstores are.

Oh and the fins you were talking about are called the pelvic fins I forgot to tell you what they were called. Sorry about that

Good luck with the salt baths! Keep us updated I hope his fins heal up nicely and that the spot you found doesn't cause any issues with him.

P.S. Pretty fishies by the way!
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote