Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2009, 12:09 PM   #1 
vaygirl

Strange betta games

Lately Tango's been doing something very strange. He gets down near the filter intake and then puts all his fins out like he's flaring (he looks like a big ole ship with full sails) and then he lets the current grab him and pull him backward until the edge of his tail is sucked slightly into the tube, then he fights to get it out and does the whole thing again. I don't see any damage. Is this some bizzare new game? Does anyone elses fish do anything like this? Or any other weird games?

No doubt about it. Fish are strange.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #2 
PetsGalore

I don't have anything weird like that going on. But it sounds like it would be a lil interesting to watch. My girls sometimes it looks like they race each other against the current. Now that's a good game to watch if i've seen one. And my current is mild-high because Nikki likes to jump and can't have that happening. Sometimes I see one or two of them "practicing" too.

You are correct though fish def are strange - but in a good way :)
PetsGalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #3 
Dannyboy

Lol, thats what i love about fish, their wierd and wondeful ways :D Cody sometimes chases the neons as a bit of fun, but just leaves them alone :P He doesn't hurt them or anything though, just a bit of fun i suppose.

I wish Cody would flare or stick his fins out, because he hasn't flared yet and i want to see what he looks like :( Oh well, maybe hes still a little boy :)
Dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:57 PM   #4 
charliehasacola

Just sounds like a game to me, but be careful. After a while I think his fins would get frail and eventually rip. You may have to ruin his fun by putting a nylon sock over the intake as a precaution. My little Theodore loves the ping-pong ball I placed in the top of her tank. She nips at it to move it and then chases it. So cute.(:

I love the many personalities fish have. I'll actually have a free 32 custom soon due to my Oscar reaching his prime and I just can't decide what I'd like to put in it.(: I'd like to try something new..
charliehasacola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:10 PM   #5 
vaygirl

I'll keep an eye out on him. The aquaclear actually has really big holes in the intake but I'd hate for him to be hurt, the big doofus. I like the ping pong idea. Maybe he's bored and needs a ping pong ball.

Sometimes he shoals with the corys or chases them but he doesn't bite either.

Danny, if you get a small mirror and put it up to the tank so your guy can see himself, you might see a flare. Mine flares at himself a LOT more since I put the red/blue plant light in. I think he can see himself better in the glass. A mirror gets him going every time.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #6 
sandystar

If a mirror doesn't work try a picture of another betta. That worked for me with Kristoph.

Kristoph and I have a looking game. I stick my face real close to the tank and make faces at him or blow kisses and he just looks back at me opening and closing his mouth. Its kind of funny. And Kristoph and Jasper now play a new game with each. It resembles peek a boo tag! They hide in their plants along the divider and pop out and swim around like they are chasing.
sandystar is offline   Reply With Quote