Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2009, 11:48 PM   #1 
bluebettafish

High Ph Level

I finally got the water test kit (not the strips) today and tested the 6 gallon at home today. Everything looked good except the Ph level was rather high (above 8). I just changed the water (about 40%?) and the Ph level went down to 8. Could my water be just naturally high in Ph or is there something wrong with my decorations/gravel? I have live plants, two flower pots, an 8 ball (for fun) and gravel I got at Petco. I have heard something about certain gravel doing something to the Ph level but I don't remember exactly what.

I'm still trying to learn to cycle the tanks. It's probably too late to do before I go on vacation because I waited too long. I went to Petco to ask about products I can use to cycle but the guy that works there told me I don't have to do that for bettas. He then told me to use the betta food blocks? if I'm concerned about him not eating. Yikes.
bluebettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:49 AM   #2 
bluebettafish

I just tested straight tap water and it was at 7.8.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:57 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I wouldn't try to mess with the ph. Fluctuating ph is harmful to fish. Bettas can go awhile without being fed, up to 2 weeks, I think. If you are only going to be gone a week or less, I think they'll be ok. I've heard that those feeding blocks can really mess up your water. I was gone for 2 weeks and had someone come in every other day to feed mine and it worked out just fine.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:56 AM   #4 
Calmwaters

I agree with Drama don't mess with the ph adding chemicals to change it can be real bad for the fish.
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #5 
bluebettafish

Thank you! I will leave it alone and check every once in a while so it doesn't go out of control. As for my vacation, I will ask my friends not to overfeed them (one of my bettas weren't even eating the pellets and they were in the filter when I got home).
Old 11-17-2009, 02:14 PM   #6 
TigerLily

Your water may just have a naturally high Ph. The water here is like that too. I haven't used any chemicals or treatments to lower mine, and my bettas all seem to be doing fine.

I have heard before that adding driftwood to your tank can help lower Ph, but then you'd still be dealing with a fluctuating Ph everytime you do a water change and that can be stressful to the fish.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote