Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2009, 08:02 PM   #1 
BettaBombshell

Dumpster Diving New Girl

Hey everyone! My name is Luna and I'm new to BF.com. It's very nice to make you acquaintance and hope that we will become good friends. As the title of my thread suggests I dumpster dive... but when I say for what I'm sure it will make you sick. Optimus Prime, my male Veiltail( he is in my siggy) is my second betta, and he is also my second rescue. The petland near me has a horrible habit. When they get new stock in they THROW AWAY all the old stock, dead or alive. I saved him when a store associate was putting all the older stock of bettas in the trash. I will tell you right now that it was love at first sight. He was the only one moving. He was slow but alert and as I watched him being placed into the black trash bag something inside me snapped. I had to save him, he might already be dying but I had to try. I waited in my car for 15 minutes while the guy took them out to the dumpster and when he shut the door I raced to the smelly disgusting bin to see if my quarry was still alive. I tore open the bag to find him right on top. He was cold and slow but he was still alert. I snatched him up and as quickly as I could drove home and put him in my 29 gallon tank. Quarantine was not necessary as I was at petco to buy some residents but I only brought back Optimus. From the very second he was introduced to his new tank till now he won't let me out of his sight if I'm in the room. The instant I come into view he is right there waiting to greet me. I feed him Atison's betta Pro, and he is conditioned with Atison's betta Spa. But recently my 29 gallon broke a seal so he and my newest betta are in large bowls I bought at walmart until I can get my 75 gal back up and running. I have decided on keeping both my boys together in the 75 gal separated by doubled dividers made of Plastic needlework mesh and suction cups. My boys will each get a large area to swim and exercise and I will still have enough space for a few more boys or maybe a little school of females *winks at Optimus* I find the dividers I make to be much better than "hurricane globes" because each fish will have a huge amount of space to move and frolic. I know they miss the filtration but I clean their temp bowls when water ph and ammonia are out of normal levels, but I do have waterproof heating pads set on thermostats for the time being. The tank will be ready as soon as I can get my boyfriend to help me move it back to the basement now that it's cleaned up. So yeah. Just a bit of a background on my betta experience and a little introduction if you will. Thanks for the time and I can't wait to be able to update you all on how much they love the 75 gal. I mean heck when I first put them in I will only divide it in half for the two of them so they will have a whopping 37 gal to themselves until I get a few more fish. I can't wait to get them into their new home! I know they will feel so much better!
BettaBombshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:21 PM   #2 
Elaina

Welcome, your boy is sure lucky that you were so dedicated!
That is awful that Petland does that!! It makes me hate them even more! I refuse to shop there for anything because they carry puppymill dogs, and this makes me even more angry!
Elaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:21 PM   #3 
ChristinaRoss

now thats a rescue story if ive ever heard one! wow! awesome!
i never would have believed they just throw them out like that. now THATS a job Id quit over!
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:24 PM   #4 
Jupiter

How horrid! But I'm glad you rescued him, he's such a lovely betta! The green on him is awesome!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:37 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. What a horrible thing for a petstore to do!!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:44 PM   #6 
AlexXx

Best rescue story hands down! your the best! :D
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:52 PM   #7 
charliehasacola

I'd be the crazy hobo in a tent next to their rubbish bin. I'd live in the tent so I could use my house for Bettas. XD
charliehasacola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:54 PM   #8 
nochoramet

Wow that story is amazing, and look how beautiful he is... that's sad that they would do that to living animals. I'd like to have them all in bags and throw them out if no one wanted them!
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:12 AM   #9 
TianTian

Haha, I'll have to tip my hat at you, Bombshell; I tend to be the one with fairly great Betta stories around here but I must say you've ousted me off my throne! Kudos to you for doing such an awesomely good deed! Optimus is really a handsome, and lucky, fish! :)
TianTian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:58 AM   #10 
Romad
TFK Moderator

That's a sad and happy story at the same time. I will never buy anything at a Petland after hearing that.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your gorgeous rescue.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote