Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2009, 09:03 PM   #1 
charliehasacola

Question..

So, my Oscar, King is at his prime at eleven years of age. I have a question in regards to stocking a 32 gallon with three bettas, some bottom feeders and tetras.

If I were to set up this tank (32 custom. See a video of it 11 years ago on YouTube.com/charliehasacola) with tons of fake plants and terra cotta pots, ect. Could I manage to get three male bettas in with bottom feeders and tetras?

Inverts are out thanks to my mum buying algae-rid tablets behind my back with metals in them.
charliehasacola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:16 PM   #2 
SaylorKennedy

Bettas cannot be housed together in the same tank unless it's divided, or you put all females in the tank, which then you would need more than 3. They are called fighting fish for a reason, males will fight eachother until one dies. So to your original question, no, but if you want to do what I mentioned above, yes you can. I don't know bettas compatability with oscars though.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:17 PM   #3 
CodeRed

I would say no. If you want to have 3 male bettas in there, get dividers. Otherwise, they'll tear each other up in no time. You could also try a sorority in there, which are all females, and you could probably fit up to 15 females in there, maybe even more.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:19 PM   #4 
charliehasacola

I'm kinda looking for just males. Oooh, what if I found glass mason jars with holes in the lids and put males in them and had a sorority with tetras and bottom feeders in the rest of the tank?
Old 11-15-2009, 09:23 PM   #5 
SaylorKennedy

Bettas breath by air, so they would have to be able to get to the top of the surface of the tank otherwise they will drown. I'd say with your set up, females would be the best option, although your oscar might eat them? So no, you can't put them in mason jars in another tank.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:23 PM   #6 
ChristinaRoss

they need to be able to get to the top to breathe air.....and mason jars are way too small for them to thrive in, let alone they would probably not live very long.
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:24 PM   #7 
ChristinaRoss

oh, and putting a betta in with an oscar that is 11 yrs old, im thinking hes at least 10" long? he WILL eat them
Old 11-15-2009, 09:46 PM   #8 
charliehasacola

I meant after he passed.... And I was actually thinking about that, and I have these glass 'collumns' that reach the top of the tank and hold 1 1/2 gallons of water. Yes/no?
Old 11-15-2009, 10:22 PM   #9 
SaylorKennedy

Could you post pictures of these columns?
Old 11-16-2009, 08:50 AM   #10 
ChristinaRoss

most fish would prefer to swim horizontally lenghtwise rather than vertically up and down, how wide are the columns? if their as high as a tank that size they must be narrow to be a 1.5 gallon. i wouldnt do that, they certainly wont thrive