Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2013, 02:28 AM   #11 
roxfox

What can I say, I'm a Canadian but I love the heat, I keep a heating unit in my room so that it's consistently 78-80 lol my fishes tank has a heater so it goes 83-85 to encourage fun growth. I know warmer would be better for this guy but 78 (where the temp is now) has got to be better then sitting beside a cheap window that lets the cold in in the middle of Canadian winter with not warm air ventilation close by.
roxfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:32 AM   #12 
SageMyster

I'm afraid I don't know enough about medications or diagnoses to help you with that. However, I can empathize... I too had terrible roommates who liked to abuse MY betta by putting trash and, of all things, vomit into his tank. You know what I did? I got the heck out of there. Maybe that's the best thing you can do, since it sounds like your living situation is less than ideal. I'm sorry this is happening and I wish you the best of luck!
SageMyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:38 AM   #13 
roxfox

Trust me, you aren't the first person to say that... But I'm only living in this town till mid-April and I neither have the time not cash to find a new place to stay for all of 3 1/2 months. I'm not here alot anyways since I work 25+ hrs a week plus school and LSAT prep.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:36 AM   #14 
Aquatail

Poor little guy. :(

I think the best thing for him now would be clean, warm water. If you have tannins you can use them and Stress Coat shouldn't hurt either, but I'm not sure how much it would really help. 78F is a good temperature for bettas, so he should be ok. The only thing I'd worry about temperature wise would be large fluctuations at night.

I'm assuming the bloating came from overeating when all those pellets were dropped in. I'd try fasting him for a few days and if that doesn't help then you could try some pure, unscented Epsom salt or daphnia. If you don't want to stop feeding him entirely, I think you could go ahead and feed him a little daphnia.

I'm not entirely sure about the white dots. There doesn't seem to be a lot of them... But be sure to keep an eye on them. I wouldn't medicate yet. Aquarium salt could help if it is Ick, but we don't want to make his bloat worse. If it is Ick though, warmer temperatures would help. However, without a heater it'd be really hard to get it up far enough. I believe I have heard that Ick can be cured with heat and water changes only, so if you can do that, I would start.

Also, I wouldn't share anything between him and your other fish.

Last edited by Aquatail; 12-29-2013 at 03:44 AM.
Aquatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #15 
Betta Nut

I can't believe he's even still alive! That small of a home with no water change for so long... sheesh. I think just changing his water every other day til the roomate comes back will help him a ton. After that, not much you can do. maybe add in a "present" like a small live plant to at least help a tiny bit with future neglect. I'd go nuts having to witness this, and roomy being so stubborn. Oh well, it is what it is. At least the poor betta has *someone* who cares.
Betta Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:51 PM   #16 
roxfox

Thanks for all the help, I'll let you know if he improves!!! :) I'm going to try fasting, maybe two-three days?
Old 12-30-2013, 05:17 AM   #17 
fidget

I agree with Aus. I'd tell those d-bags the fish died. Say you went in to change his water and he was dead. Take a pic of a dead blue fish off the internet to show them. Jerks!!

**I'd only do that if I had a lock on my door.

Otherwise- maybe you can sneak in and change his water whenever you can and make off with him when you move in a few months? I hope he makes it. :(

Last edited by fidget; 12-30-2013 at 05:23 AM.
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:58 PM   #18 
roxfox

Smile Update!!!

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to update you all on the situation and I think it is getting better! I've been doing 100% water changes (with stress coat) every other day because the 1/2 gal. is SOOO small, and I don't want to aggravate any ammonia poisoning the fish most likely has.

- He fasted for four days and then has been put on a two pellets daily diet with fasting once a week. He has an appetite, but the bloating has not gone down yet. I think he may actually just have gotten really big from years of overfeeding, his body alone is at least 2x the width and length of my betta.

- There is no evident fin regrowth, and the couple white spots on his tail have neither multiplied nor gone away BUT his colouring has gotten much more vibrant. The day I took him I had to use flash to take a picture of him because in regular light he looked black. But now his tail is starting to show it's sapphire blues in regular light so that is encouraging! I had to play a bit with the photo coloring to show you guys how he appears in real life, but trust me, in real life he is just as colourful as the updated photo! Hopefully it will keep getting better!

- The Roommate situation. Well he came home, and I told him I took the fish because the water was so bad. He said he had asked our other roommate to look after it while he was gone (which was either a really poor decision or a bold faced lie because the roommate he asked can't even clean his own dishes let alone a fish tank) and I said, well you can't leave him in the living room, 1) its way too cold 2) the tempeture changes way too much 3) the fish gets harrassed by the our other roommate 3) the fish needs a normal light/dark schedule which is impossible because we have to leave the lights on 24/7 downstairs because that roommate "he asked to look after the fish" has left out so much garbage, food, and dishes that we've gotten roaches in our kitchen after he moved in. (aka DEFINITELY not going to clean a fish tank) and roaches don't like the light. The Fish owner asked me if I had purchased him a new tank and I said no, because I think that was his way of asking if I was legitimately taking his fish or just taking care of it. But that was like a couple days ago and he hasn't spoken to me since, and I haven't been yelled at by my landlord for fish burglary so I'm debating if I'm in the clear to keep him in my room under the guise of "looking after him" until I move at which point I will take him with me. Maybe the odds are in my favour?

- So the fish is still in his 1/2 gal. But I'm thinking about getting him a new tank when I get my next pay check. He seem a lot happier, active, and alert but I know he won't be able to thrive in the 1/2 gal.

Anyways, thanks for all your help guys let me know if you have any suggestions or observations about his updated photo!
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2014, 12:05 AM   #19 
fidget

Oh man. What a nightmare! I once had a roommate whose cat puked all over his bedroom floor, like 20 or 30 times, and he covered it up with dirty socks instead of cleaning it. True story.

Glad he's doing better!! Maybe your roommate is realizing that you'll actually do all the things he doesn't want to- like clean the tank and care for his fish.

Maybe you could quietly replace the container he's in with a small Kritter keeper? Your roommate might not even notice and they're under $10. You also may want to consider taking the gravel out of the container (too small to be a tank!) he's in now so he has a bit more room to swim.

That fish is lucky you moved in!

edit- your roommate might be more receptive to you getting him a sm/med kritter keeper now that he's chilled out a little

Last edited by fidget; 01-11-2014 at 12:11 AM.
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:39 AM   #20 
TheTrojanBetta

Hey! Good on you for what you did, stepping up for this animal and showing compassion for it when no one else was. (I don't remember if it was mentioned, does the betta have a name?)
This actually really reminds me of how I got one of my bettas, Rigsby, and I can tell you a bit about how I got him and what I did to help him on the road to recovery.
Rigbsy was the fish of the people who live in the room next to mine in the dorms. The first time I saw him, several months into the semester, I was horrified. I could describe it, but:

Lettuce floating in the water, a layer of gunk all across the surface of the water, a smell that literally brought me this close to vomiting... ugh. To make a long story short, I basically did what you did: took him, set him up in a spare tank I had at home, and started nursing him back to health. Eventually, my neighbor passed his care permanently on to me, I think after seeing just how much he had changed from the fish that she knew.

Anyways. When I first brought Rigsby to my room I had no idea whether he would live or die. Fin rot, swim bladder disease, extremely faded colors... he was in a bad way, not surprising considering what he had been living in for several months. I immediately started doing 100 percent water changes daily, adding in a liberal dose of Stress Coat with each one. One thing I really believe helped, was getting him in a real tank, with plants and room for him to swim around, something he had never been able to do before; he absolutely adores his hammock. I know you said you are thinking of getting him a new tank and I think that would really help! Sitting side by side with my other fish also brought some spark to his swim; he and Odysseus are buddies and I really do think the stimulation they provide each other helps keep them healthy.

Betta fish are hardy and can survive so much. He already looks so much better and I believe he will really flourish under your care! I know it might sound corny or cheesy, but I think more than anything Rigsby was able to tell that I cared for him and that seeing me meant he was safe and secure and was going to get what it was that he needed. I think it was this knowledge more than anything that helped him to heal. I think for now I would pass things off as "looking after him", as you said, which is what I did with Rigsby until he was officially given to me. With Rigsby I really emphasized the fact that he was sick and that I knew what to do to help him get better. If your roommate says nothing, especially when the time for you to move is approaching, I would just assume he is yours. Your roommate may come around and like not having the responsibility anymore, like Rigsby's did, as awful as that sounds.

Sorry this got a bit long! I hope it wasn't too aggravating or dreary to read. This just reminds me so much of Rigsby and it's close to my heart. I am so thankful you stepped up for this fish and I really admire what you've done.

This is Rigsby now, and you wouldn't know he's the same fish, in looks or behavior. I think your guy can live long and prosper in just the same way! You're doing a great job, and you're definitely doing right by the little (or big!) guy. Let me know if you have any questions and definitely keep us updated! :)
TheTrojanBetta is offline   Reply With Quote