Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-10-2014, 04:55 PM   #151 
summersea

Sadly Artie is looking pretty bad. He just lays at the bottom of the tank until he goes up for air. But he spazzes out when he goes for air. Very erratic. Then he hits the glass and just falls back down. His color is very pale. He is still bloated. His gills are moving very rapidly. It is hard to watch him like this. If he still is like this tomorrow I think I am going to euthanize him. As hard as it would be to do it, I don't want him to suffer. I am just not sure what way I could make myself do...this royally sucks.

On top of that I fell up the stairs and bashed my knuckles on concrete this morning. And my puppy is sick. They had to pull bloodwork so we will know more tomorrow but they think it is pancreatitis. Truly a horrible Monday
summersea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #152 
lovee1795

Mondays do truly suck. I hope everything brightens up for you!
lovee1795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #153 
summersea

Thanks lovee but sadly it just got worse. Artie passed away shortly ago. I am glad he passed away on his own rather than have to make the decision but I am so sad. He was always such a character. Had the grumpiest little face. I will miss his little wiggly happy dance. SIP Artie!
Attached Images

Last edited by summersea; 03-10-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:40 PM   #154 
BettaLover1313

I'm very sorry to hear about Artie . I was really hoping he'd pull for you. S.I.P Artie.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:19 PM   #155 
DaytonBetta

I'm sorry,what a miserable day. I hope your pup is okay.
DaytonBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:21 AM   #156 
summersea

Thanks guys. It was a pretty awful day. But I will say I never expected Artie to make it a full year. He has always had so many health issues. Still sad to see him go. I don't think I will be replacing him. Instead, when I redo the 10g next week (my plants from peachii can't be shipped until next week so delaying the redo a bit) I am just going to undo the divider and give Blizzard the whole 10g. He is a very active boy and I think he will make full use of the tank. Debating if I want to try shrimp with Blizzard. He has left the snail alone but he is an avid hunter of all things wormy in the tank. May try a few cheap ghost shrimp and see how they do before going with the more expensive red cherries.

We should be getting the call on my puppy's bloodwork today. Fingers crossed it comes back more positive than my over active imagination is expecting. I love my puppy! Luckily my horse TJ's yearly winnings check is coming in and will cover the vet expenses so that is one weight off. Though I was hoping to use that money for something else but not a necessity.

On a good note, Dusty one a contest! I am going to be getting a drawing and a prose written for him. Pretty cool! Cant wait to see what they come up with!
Old 03-11-2014, 07:10 PM   #157 
summersea

Man, another long day but overall much better than yesterday. Still hard to look at the divided 10g and see one side empty. Also as I look at the tank I realize just how big it is going to be for just one fish. Still not planning on getting another but definitely going to do some type of shrimp.

I have been keeping a close eye on Blizzard after everything that happened to Artie. So far he seems to be fairing well. His top fin probably shows the most effect from the high ammonia in the tap. It is looking a bit wilted. But the rest of Blizz's fins are doing well and he is just as active as ever.

Also got good news regarding my puppy today. His bloodwork came back completely normal so it is just his digestive tract inflamed an possibly infected versus pancreatitis. Yay! He will stay on the strong antibiotics for now but if he doesn't start feeling better and eating again by Friday we may have to start back at the drawing board. So fingers crossed he improves before then.

Well I am off to bed as I will be taking some juniors and seniors in a field trip tomorrow...gonna be a crazy busy day! Here is a pic of Blizzard tonight showing off his growing fins. You can see the top fin looks a bit wilted but otherwise I think he looks good (if a bit overweight o.O). I wonder if he misses Artie....
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2014, 09:34 PM   #158 
BettaLover1313

I'm glad to hear that your puppy's blood work came back with no bad news! Hopefully the antibiotics will help!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:12 PM   #159 
summersea

Thanks BettaLover! I am sure hoping the antibiotics do the trick!
--------

Well, I have been staring at the tropical community aquarium I have in my classroom. After much debate, I have decided to turn it into an NPT (big surprise there since I am doing that to all my tanks lol).

The tank is a 29g aquarium with a 100watt heater and an aqueon power filter. The tank is fully cycled and currently home to 8 harlequin rasboras, 5 rummy nose tetras, 4 julii cory cats, 1 oto, and a crap ton of baby snails. The tank also have a few live plants. One massive sword of some variety (the LFS just sells them by $4.99 for a potted plant without specific info given), a smaller sword that has a baby sword floating up at the top, a piece of drift would with an anubias, and several stems of floating elodea (known in the trade as anacharis I believe).

I am thinking of ordering another plant package from peachii if my first batch that arrives next week looks good. I may need to upgrade my lighting but the hood only allows 1 bulb so I think it will still end up a low light tank.

I think I will give my sister all stock except the rummy nose tetras (sister has a 55g though she doesn't take the best care of them...). The rummy nose tetras will be a great indicator of water parameters as if they are not ideal they lose their red "noses". I want to breed red cherry shrimp in the tank as well. I have already purchased another nice piece of drift would that has various hiding places for the shrimp and will allow me to attach some java ferns.

My ideal plan would be to house a small sorority of betta girls (thinking just 5) with the shrimp. Though obviously if I do that the idea of breeding shrimp would be over and just become live food for the girls more than likely lol. My only fear with doing a small sorority is the stress factor for the girls. My tank can only be placed in one spot in the classroom and that is between my lab tables against a window. I have students who are assigned seats at nearby lab tables and when we do labs it can be a bit chaotic. I am afraid the flurry of motion outside the tank might cause fighting amongst the girls. Trying to decide if I cover the side panels with backing (similar to what is already at the back of the tank) and just leave the front panel open if that would limit some stress. I suppose I could also cover the tank on lab days to keep stress factors down...or I may decide it is waaaay to much work and do something else lol

But here is the tank currently. You can tell it is a hodge podge of fake and live plants. I want something a bit more pleasing to the eye and easier to maintain over time. Anyone with a sorority wanting to chime in would be great! Sorry for the bad lighting, the classroom lights cause a horrible glare...
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2014, 07:24 PM   #160 
summersea

So I did water changes on all but Nero an the 10g. The tap is still coming in at slightly darker than 1ppm for ammonia. I tested the 10g and it was somewhere between 0-.25 which was better than anything I could put in so will hold off on a water change until this weekend.

I did change the water on Razz's tank and NPT. I am beginning to see the start of growth on the plants finally but they seem to be taking longer than the first NPT. Maybe it was a good thing Peachii had to delay her shipment lol

I also did Dusty's tank (oh and forgot to mention that I used spring water mixed with the tap to lower te ammonia for all water changes). While doing his WC I trimmed his dwarf lily and some chain sword plantlets. That dwarf lily is pretty but I think a bit too big for a 5g. If I could figure out how to get the bulb out without destroying te water column with soil I would add it to either the 10g or 29g. You can see in the pic below that the tank is doing pretty well. Though I did notice that Dusty has a tear in his anal fin but hopefully it heals up quickly.

Well I am off to bed. This week has been very long already and we are only halfway through! Geesh!
Attached Images

Last edited by summersea; 03-12-2014 at 07:29 PM.