Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2014, 08:46 PM   #11 
Betta Nut

Aw, grumpy face looks like he got sucker punched!

There should be a grumpy betta contest with inserted captions :)

Edit! oops! I guess there has been one of those, lol *goes to look at grumpy bettas*

Last edited by Betta Nut; 01-01-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Betta Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:24 PM   #12 
summersea

Haha BettaNut! He really does look like he was sucker punched! XD I got Artie right after that grumpy Betta contest. I was bummed I couldn't enter him! Ah well, maybe next time
summersea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:28 PM   #13 
summersea

I would just like to say that today I am thankful for 4-wheel drive trucks. While we don't get much snow here in Kentucky we did have a layer of black ice under it. And while I would have preferred to stay snuggled under a warm blanket at home, I have 3 horses that depend on me to feed them. So I had to bundle up and brave the "wild". No where near as bad as when I lived in Minnesota or Pennsylvania but still...

Anywho, back to my finned pets. Did water changes today. Why is it that bettas appear to enjoy chasing gravel vacs during water changes?! Stresses me out every time! I came close to sucking up Nero by accident. Thankfully I pulled it up and away in time. Geesh! Crazy fishies!

Did more research on NPT tanks and read OldFishLady's thread on them. I am even more determined to create one before this year is out. Was planning to start saving but then my horse broke his blanket over night so now I have to order him a new one (which would have covered most the entire price of a new tank and plants for the NPT - *sigh*). So back to wishing. I am going to keep my eye out for used tanks on craigslist and at yard sales (once they start back up). Also thinking of changing my 29g tropical aquarium at work to an NPT over summer break. It would be a perfect learning tool when I teach ecosystems to my freshmen students!!

Until then I continue to lurk through the threads, admiring everyone else's tanks and trying not to turn TOO green with envy...

To finish off for the night I figure it is only fair to attach a picture of Nero - since I almost sucked him up in the gravel vac after all. I am pretty sure he was giving me the stink eye - in case I was considering cleaning his tank again LOL XD
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2014, 07:40 PM   #14 
summersea

Just gotta say - brrr! Got another snow day today (though I did got in to do some work after noon) and now they are calling for a Winter Storm "Ion" (not sure how I feel about them naming winter storms but appreciate the chemistry naming attempt...) to hit Sunday night. The high for Monday is supposed to be -1* ... Yea you read that right. -1* in KENTUCKY! Not to mention the rain/ice/snow we may be getting as well.

Now, I have lived in states where it gets much colder more consistently (Mn, Pa, etc) but kentucky just isn't equipped to deal with ths type of cold weather. I am pretty concerned about losing power and running water (as line are not buried deeply here). Plus I have my 3 horses to consider - though thankfully 2 of them have heavy blankets from our prior years in the north. My third boy is pretty fuzzy and everyone will be snug in their stalls for those few days but still.

So tonight I find myself worrying about electricity. What do I do for my Betta Boys if the power goes out?!?! Looks like I will be doing a lot of research tomorrow. Anyone reading who has any tips please feel free to share! I am hoping it won't come to that but better to be prepared, just in case!

Well, on a fishy note Razz and Artie were looking as good as usual. Blizzard doesn't look like he has bitten his tail recently but still no sign of new growth *sigh*

As for Nero, he managed to scare me for a few minutes. I walked into my bedroom and, as always, popped over to his tank to say "hey". Only - where was Nero?! I looked all over his tank and couldn't find him. I started freaking out, looking around the outside of his tank (though how he was going to jump out of a fully closed tank I surely don't know). Just as I was about to really lose it out comes Nero from his hollow log!

For as long as I looked for him I didn't think he would be in the log that long! Must have been taking a nap lol. He is so funny that way. I have also noticed that his fins have been growing out more (wish he would share the growth with Blizzard ...) to the point where his maneuvering skills while swimming are a bit compromised. His sharp turns are not as graceful as they used to be. Guess that is the curse of a half moon betta!

Well off to so some more research! Night all!
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2014, 11:25 AM   #15 
BettaLover1313

Beautiful fish and love reading about your adventures with them!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:48 AM   #16 
summersea

Thanks BettaLover! And they truly are adventures! I am a bit of a worry wart with all my animals (the tales my horses could tell after 15 years...XD) so reading all these threads has me constantly worrying that one of the Betta Boys will contract something. But it keeps me vigilant on their water changes and gives me another reason **cough - excuse - cough** to take a lot of pictures to create a log of them teehee
Old 01-04-2014, 11:50 AM   #17 
BettaLover1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersea View Post
Thanks BettaLover! And they truly are adventures! I am a bit of a worry wart with all my animals (the tales my horses could tell after 15 years...XD) so reading all these threads has me constantly worrying that one of the Betta Boys will contract something. But it keeps me vigilant on their water changes and gives me another reason **cough - excuse - cough** to take a lot of pictures to create a log of them teehee
I agree entirely! I'm very paranoid about my boys contracting things, and I watch them constantly/take pictures, because who doesn't like pictures?
Old 01-04-2014, 11:55 AM   #18 
summersea

I love pictures! I read through your journal the other day and loved the pics you just put up of Merlin and Dragon (oh and can't forget Renji!). They are gorgeous and I love their captions!
Old 01-04-2014, 12:04 PM   #19 
BettaLover1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersea View Post
I love pictures! I read through your journal the other day and loved the pics you just put up of Merlin and Dragon (oh and can't forget Renji!). They are gorgeous and I love their captions!
Thank you! Can't resist taking pictures of them .
Old 01-04-2014, 01:50 PM   #20 
summersea

So went out and bought a few necessities before the storm hits tomorrow. Also bought some hot hands heat packs. I figure if we lose electricity I can activate a couple per tank and wrap towels around them and the tanks to keep them warm. Hopefully it won't come to that but it is something to try - just in case! O.o

For some reason Nero's heater isn't keeping the water as warm as I am used to. Could be because the house is colder (trying to save on money as electric heat is EXPENSIVE!). So had to adjust it. Poor Nero got a bit stressed out and pales a bit in the process since, to get to the heater, I have to move the built in filter and juggle around a bit. So he is on a "Do Not Disturb" break for a bit to let him de-stress.

Found myself spending a lot of time observing Razz today. His fins really have grown back a lot! I started feeding him NLS small fish pellets instead of his Aqueon pellets an his color seems brighter too! For a fish I thought I was going to lose, he sure is a little trooper.

Short post today as my best friend is coming over and still need to clean up a bit. I leave you to marvel at Razz's new fin growth!
Attached Images