Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2014, 07:22 PM   #21 
summersea

Gah! So much hype for this "winter storm" but we are still sitting at 47* with just a bunch of rain. I am sure it will cool down but we aren't going to get the snow or "extreme" cold everyone has been touting for the last week. *sigh* I should know better than to get caught up in the hype. Either way, more horses are snug in their stalls and I did water changes - just in case.

Speaking of fish, I noticed this morning that even though I turned up Nero's heater in his tank was still sitting at 75* this morning even though the thermometer was set at 86. Ugh. So ran to PetsMart and bought a 50watt adjustable heater. Now my tank is too warm!! Set the tank just under the 80* mark on the heater but my thermometer is reading 85! I just can't win. Guess it is a good thing my school system has already called off for tomorrow so I can fiddle with the heater more.

Speaking of PetsMart, I have been really upset with their care of the bettas recently. I noticed a decline in care starting 2 months ago that progressively got worse. A lot of "fuzzy" sick Bettas and there have been at least 2 Bettas dead in their cups each time I have gone. Just breaks my heart. I wrote the company but all I got was an email saying they lodged a customer complaint and I should hear back in 3-5 business days. That doesn't help these poor fish much! Wish I had the money to rescue more of these poor guys!

Anywho, back to my boys. I have been looking at pics of Blizzard and comparing his fin damage. I don't think he has been biting any more but there sure isn't any new growth. I am thinking his bottom fin (of which the scientific name is alluding me at the moment) appears to be being rubbed off on something. I am not sure if one of the fake plants or his hollow log might be doing some of the damage. I am going to try to save up and get a 5g to create a NPT tank for Blizz. I feel having a planted tank would help him feel less stressed (which would hopefully translate in less fin biting) and would help protect against any damage from fake plants. He is my only fish with these issues and he is driving me crazy!!

I shall end with a pic of Blizzard so I can look back over time and compare his fins. Good night all!
Attached Images

summersea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:51 AM   #22 
summersea

Well we didn't get more than a dusting of snow (at one point we were forecast for 2-4) but boy did the temperatures drop! We hit 57* last night and the lowest so far today (temps are still dropping) was -1*. Brrr! Add in the wind an I have seen windchills of -22*! Had to brave the cold to take are of my horses but plan to cuddle under some blankets with my puppy for the rest of the day!

I don't know if it was the crazy wether or that I have been feeding him more NLS pellets but Razz made me his first (little) bubble nest since he got sick in October! It isn't much but makes me glad that Razz is healthy enough to make one!

I am sooo obsessed with NPT tanks! I feel like I am living and breathing them! I keep reading threads on the forum and all that does is make me want another tank to try it out in. But then I can't decide on if I get a 5g to try this with do I want to get a new Betta boy or just let Blizzard have his own tank and eventually make the 10g Artie's NPT with some snail and shrimp friends?! Gah, just don't know. Though being able to afford this is likely a couple months away so I have plenty of time to debate in my head

I leave you with a pic (although a bit blurry) of Razz defending his itty bitty cutie wootie bubble nest!
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2014, 08:04 PM   #23 
summersea

It has been a few days since last I wrote. It has been crazy around here! That arctic air did a number on our heat which left me scrambling to keep 2 of my fishies warm! Nero's heater couldn't keep up (I actually bought him a new one before I realized the old one did work just wasn't a high enough wattage). And Razz's little heater couldn't keep up so we ended up with a personal heater in his room to help keep his tank temp up. The things we do for our fish...phew!

Meanwhile, even though their ammonia has stayed under .25ppm - Blizzard's tail biting has turned into mild fin rot Thankfully very mild. I already do 2 - 50% water changes a week on the 10g so upping water changes isn't time feasible for me. Unfortunately i also dont have a hospital tank. So that has left me to treat the entire 10g with meds. Hoping it helps quickly!

On better news, my dad (who I am not on the best terms with but we speak occasionally) saw my post on Facebook about wanting to do a NPT tank so badly. Today a package was left at my door containing a 4g Fluval View tank! I was so excited! I posted a thread in the planted tanks forum to get some input in using the tank as a NPT. I need to still save up and do research on the plants I want before I use the tank but can't wait. Now the question becomes if I want to move Blizzard into the 4g...or get a new guy....

Ahh the possibilities!! So much excitement! I hope I can get a lot if help/opinions in my thread! Here is a pic of the tank(box). I can't wait to use it (excuse me while I go squealing around my room...)
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #24 
summersea

So now I am worried about Artie. I treated the 10g with Jungle Fungus Clear to help with Blizzards fin rot and the sores Artie has had on his head since I got him back in September (from tryin to jump out of his closed pet store cup multiple times). Artie seemed fine during the first day of treatment (put it in Thursday night) but this morning I found him laying on top of his silk plant as close to the top of the tank as he could get. His gills were working hard and he was going up for air a lot. He is a little bloated, pale, and his fins are clamped. I went ahead and did a 30% water change, hoping that a dilution of the medicine will help him.

Blizzard looks fine and very active. Most of the dark edges are gone but still has a spot or two. I don't understand why the medicine is effecting Artie this way. If he still continues to look this bad I will take out all the medicine in the tank. I really hope he feels better soon! I thought medicine was supposed to help my boys, not make them a million times worse! Ugh!

On a slightly happier side note, I am thinking of talking to my dad to exchange the Fluval View tank for a basic Marina 5g starter kit that was roughly the same price. The shape and lighting would be more conducive for trying my first NPT. Not sure how he would feel about exchanging his gift or dealing with the whole process (since it was through Amazon) so I guess we will see.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:50 PM   #25 
summersea

Ugh! Artie has me really stressed. I did the water change but he is still laying on a leaf at the top, his gills working over time, and not eating. I will do another 50% water change in the morning. I don't know what else to do for my boy! I never expected meds to do this to him!

On another note, I talked my dad into exchanging the Fluval for the Marina tank. So - YAY - NPT tank coming soon! I did a drive through all my LFS (except the petco 45 mins away) and nobody around here sells nerites (only mystery snails) and the only shrimp I saw were ghost shrimp. I guess I will need to try petco as my last ditch effort.

I have decided to buy my plants for the NPT online versus PetsMart as they end up close in price (online plants are cheaper but shipping brings that up a lot) plus the online plants are much larger than what PetsMart has. Now I just need the money for them!

Speaking of PetsMart, I am so disappointed in mine. I recently wrote the company about my local store because the bettas all seemed to have be disease or another and several were dead. I got a response from the manager that they were moving then away from the cold draft by the door and working with corporate offices to fix the issue. However, when I went in today there were more dead bettas than live ones. Broke my heart. Some if the dead ones were just gorgeous halfmoons with such pretty colors. I really hope they can get this under control. I don't have many pets tires here so can't really shop anywhere else for many things but I hate seeing the Bettas this way!
Old 01-12-2014, 08:02 AM   #26 
summersea

Well Artie looks a ton better this morning! I was so worried I would lose him yesterday. He is still a bit bloated (so I am fasting him) and if he stops moving he goes a tiny bit sideways but he is actually swimming around and being more himself. Not 100% back but a major improvement! Phew!

Unfortunately Blizzard still has a bit of grey on his fin edges. I am going to have to figure something out for a hospital tank as I obviously can't dose the 10g with Artie in it. Ugh. Keeping bettas is so much more difficult thank I ever imagined. Good thing I love these guys!

Trying to talk Mom into going to Petco today (it is 45 mins away) to see if they have shrimp or Nerite snails. I hope they do or my idea of an "ecosystem" in a tank is not going to work out so well!

Short entry this morning. May post again later (with a pic as I have been slacking on those lately) this afternoon if I have anything of note to add. Have a great day everyone!
Old 01-12-2014, 03:45 PM   #27 
summersea

All I can say is - WOW! The Petco 45mins away has a HUGE selection of bettas! Unfortunately several were dead (why can't pet stores figure this out?!) but I saw in person, for the first time an elephant ear and a King betta! I wish they were so expensive or I would be picking an EE up for my new tank(whenever I can finally afford to set up the NPT)! So many pretty colors!

Sadly, my petco does not sell Nerite (or any type of snail for that matter) and no shrimp. I really want to make an ecosystem but the stores around me are making it so hard! Ugh!

On a happy note, Artie is looking 95% better! Still really active and now just a teeny bit bloated. I will probably fast him tonight and see if that clears up the last bit. I am just so glad whatever was going on seems to have stopped. I think I will let blizzard have a break from the meds and buy a 2g glass jar ($10 at Walmart) to use as my hospital tank next weekend to clear up the last of his fin rot.

I leave you with a pic of Artie today showing he is feeling much better!
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2014, 07:24 PM   #28 
summersea

My new tank came in today!! Squee!! I can't wait until I can set it up! I am pretty close to making a final list of plants I want. But I think I may have too many on my list now that I see the tank in person. May drop a plant or two - which would mean I can afford them that much sooner! Woot!

Artie seems feistier than ever after his little episode this weekend. Still worried about Blizzard's fin rot so I think I will have to put him in a hospital tank with meds this weekend. He won't like it but I can't stand to see his fins slowly disintegrate even though I have kept up with (and done extra) water changes. *sigh*

Razz has also been extra fiesty. He isn't one to usually flare but the last two nights he has flared at me before I feed him. Glad he is feeling so good!

Manage to catch a couple pics of Nero flaring. I have to go into super stealth ninja mode to get pics of this fish. If I am not in the room he spends a lot of time flaring at his reflection. But the minute he sees me he thinks "food lady!!" and all I get are blurry pics as he dances all over the tank in anticipation of yummy goodness.

Pretty short post as I am exhausted from work (teenagers can do that to a person). I leave you with a collage (since I can't post more than one pic from my phone at a time). A couple shots of Nero flaring at my new tank! Yippee!
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2014, 09:30 PM   #29 
Betta Nut

You're going to have so much fun setting that up! :D
I can't wait to see!

Also, I think I am crushing on Artie. His face <3
Betta Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:34 PM   #30 
summersea

BettaNut - Thanks! I can't wait to see it either! And Artie is definitely crush worthy! I love my little mister grumpy gills!

Well not much to report today. I think my little nephews gave me a cold so feeling pretty blah. Plus got the electric bill in. And thanks to the "polar vortex" that came in last week I won't be able to afford my plants until next payday (or I hope next payday...). Ugh. I want to start my tank so bad!

Did Razz's water change today. His fins are growing back nicely (if a bit feathered in appearance) since our "I Don't Know What I Am Doing" episode back in October. He has a nice punk rock style going on and was showing off today. Makes me laugh!

So I'll end this short entry with a pic of Punk Rock Razz! Enjoy!
Attached Images