Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #1 
KawaiiRainbowMuffin

Exclamation Help Please! My Betta is dying!!!

Hello everyone! I am in desperate need of help asap for my little guy Sushi! Today I did his 100% water change and I found some old decorative rocks and cleaned them and added them to his tank to spice it up. One of the rocks appeared to be a clear quartz and was about 3 inches tall. After about 30 minutes I noticed he was not acting his usual self which was him darting around and being hyper. Instead he hid behind the filter (which is where he sleeps) and stayed there for hours. I noticed he was being very still and moving slowly like he was drained and used a flashlight to observe him. (I observe him every couple days) I then noticed his eyes appear a tad swollen and were getting cloudy (almost milky looking) and then I panicked when I looked and noticed the one rock I added was gone. Apparently it was not a rock of any kind because it had completely dissolved!! I knew he must have been poisoned so I quickly took him out and changed his water again and deep cleaned everything with boiling water many times. I didn't know what to do so I added some maracyn plus anti bodies and his eyes have cleared. But now there are some fungus like gunk sticking under his eyes and a little under his gills. Idk what it is! (maybe parts of the rock that dissolved?) Anyways he started floating on his side and I ended up breaking down because I am afraid he is dying because of me! He is just floating in one spot not moving except for when he gets some air. I am terrified because I love my little Sushi to pieces! Please anyone tell me what to do! I am so so so soooo scared!!!

The quality is a little bad but you can she the little gunks of stuff and idk what to do!
KawaiiRainbowMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:58 PM   #2 
NorthernLights

Ok, take a deep breath. You didn't know, and if you cleaned it before adding it to the water and it didn't dissolve then, you really couldn't have known. You've given him a 100% water change. You might add some StressCoat+ to the water (you can get it at Petco/PetSmart and Wal-Mart), but most likely you need to keep him warm and clean. Adding antibiotics to his water right now probably won't help since it's not bacteria that seem to have effected him, but a chemical balance.

What is the water temp? Do you have a heater, and if so, what kind? Have you tested the water?
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:23 AM   #3 
KawaiiRainbowMuffin

His wster temp is around 80_ and there is no way I can test the water. Sorry about overreacting I'm just really worried and idk what poisoned him. I already added some medicine so will it be ok for me too add stress coat now?
Old 12-30-2013, 08:36 AM   #4 
NorthernLights

You don't need to apologize for being concerned about your fish, and it's not overreacting to get very upset when a pet becomes very ill. It's much better than the folks who just shrug as say "it's just a fish!".

You can add StressCoat+ to the water pretty much no matter what else might be in there. I'd suggest you do another 100% water change today. What kind of water conditioner have you been using (as in what brand and type)? If you add StressCoat+ in addition to another water conditioner (like Prime) you want to go a bit easy on the dosage.

You think the temp is around 80 degrees? Do you have a thermometer for the tank? If yes, is it the stick-on outside kind or one that actually sits inside the tank? If you don't have a thermometer, you can get one at Wal-Mart or most any pet store for about $2. Make sure it's one that goes in the tank, as the outside stick-on kind aren't that accurate.

Do you have a heater in the tank? If yes, what kind (i.e., brand and model, and whether or not it's adjustable)?

I don't know what kind of budget you have, but if you can afford it and you are headed to a petstore today, you might want to pick up a liquid freshwater testing kit. If you are in the USA, API's Master Freshwater Test Kit ($30-$35) is a good idea (Wal-Mart does not have this). It will help you and help us help you in the future.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

IMO, you don't need medication like an antibiotic.....

I would do a series of water changes, using some extra water conditioner. This will remove any toxins from the water, and will "pull" them out of his body as well, if he has absorbed any.

Here's what I would do:

-- If full water changes don't stress him out, do a 100% water change. Add 2x the normal amount of water conditioner.

-- If full water changes stress him, do a series of four 30% water changes. Use 2x the normal amount of water conditioner.

Be sure the water temperature is within +/- 2 degrees F of his current tank temp. (Use a thermometer for this.)

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 12-30-2013 at 10:23 AM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #6 
NeptunesMom

I would get the meds out of the tank. Meds are hard on their bodies, and if he is already suffering from poisoning...it will add stress to him. You should never add medication unless it is something that can be treated with medication. You wouldn't just take an antibiotic for no reason yourself.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #7 
KawaiiRainbowMuffin

I have a thermometer inside the tank and a heater as well that keeps the water around 80. I don't remember the brand of the heater and it is not adjustable. The water conditioner I use is bettasafe. I do have stress coat as well. Water changes don't really stress him out much. He went through two 100% water changes yesterday so I should do another on today?
Old 12-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #8 
KawaiiRainbowMuffin

I just checked on Sushi today and gently tapped the tank and he darted around some so I think he is getting better! Yesterday he just stayed in one spot and didn't react to anything. Should I feed him or no? I tried to feed him yesterday and he didn't eat.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #9 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawaiiRainbowMuffin View Post
I have a thermometer inside the tank and a heater as well that keeps the water around 80. I don't remember the brand of the heater and it is not adjustable. The water conditioner I use is bettasafe. I do have stress coat as well. Water changes don't really stress him out much. He went through two 100% water changes yesterday so I should do another on today?
I would do another to get the meds out of the tank. As I mentioned, they are stressful on the body.

If he'll eat I would say you can try to feed him.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #10 
ANHEL123

+1 and please let us know how he doing.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emergency beta care, help betta fish, illness, what do i do