Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #1 
Weretarantula

New user, new tank!

Hi all,

I'm new to this site, and was just hoping to get some insight into your experienced minds. I have had my Betta (Niji no Kujira) for over a year or so now, and for Christmas managed to get him a new tank :D
His current tank is a run of the mill 2g or so starter and his new one is a 5g. His old tank didn't have any kind of filtration and I did 100% water changes once a week. His new tank has a filter, a heater, new gravel, new fake plants, a new structure, an oxygenator and light. I have set up the heater at 25 degrees Celsius, and I have left the tank running for about 5 days now to let it acclimatise and settle. I was planning on letting it run for a week and then doing a water change and putting him in.
Do you guys and gals think this is a good approach or have any handy suggestions for me? I love my fish to bits and want to do this as perfectly as possible for him!

Thanks in advance for any help :)
Weretarantula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #2 
isntanything

As long as the water is up to temperature, there's no harm in putting him in now (after acclimating him properly) and cycling the tank with the fish in.

I found this post really helpful:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771
isntanything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #3 
mart

What I did while I was cycling my new tank for three days was add some water from the old tank to it to give it a little help.
mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #4 
isntanything

Adding water does practically nothing as the vast majority of beneficial bacteria cling to surfaces.

A tank won't begin to cycle without an ammonia source, so all you are doing for the first few days is checking everything works and making sure there are no leaks and that the temp is stable. It really isn't going to do much else in that time.

If you want to speed up the cycle a bit you need substrate and/or filter media from a fully cycled tank, but fish-in cycling is perfectly good if you keep up with water changes.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:52 PM   #5 
mart

I do add stuff from the other tank too.
mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #6 
Weretarantula

Thanks guys!

I am slightly concerned that the oxygenator might stress him out as he hasn't had one before and this one puts out a fairly large output (it's the tube type not the stone type). Is this something I should be worried about?
Thanks for the redirect to the other article, it is very informative! Hopefully this goes well. I'll put some photos up of the tank soon!
Old 12-31-2013, 04:33 AM   #7 
isntanything

Bettas don't need an oxygenator at all. They are labyrinth fish and they are adapted to low-oxygen environments by being able to breathe air at the surface.

I would just remove it before putting the betta in.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:17 AM   #8 
Weretarantula

I don't really want to remove it as I like the effect but if it is detrimental to his health I will. Do you think it will affect him? I know they breathe from the surface from time to time but if the water is plenty oxygenated, I can only see beneficial circumstances?
Old 12-31-2013, 05:52 AM   #9 
isntanything

Bettas need to breathe at the surface whether the water is oxygenated or not. They can't live without doing that. With 1 betta in a 5G tank, surface exchange is going to provide more than enough oxygen.

There's no fish-health reason for oxygenating the water, but if you like the effect and it doesn't stress out the betta then there's no harm in keeping it. You will just have to watch to make sure it doesn't batter him around the tank or make it difficult for him to swim.

Is he a long-finned betta (like a veiltail or a halfmoon)? They are likely to have more problems with it than a short-finned variety.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:25 AM   #10 
Weretarantula

He is a veiltail.
I acclimated him today, he seems to be pretty happy :)
I watched him with the oxygenator and he seemed to be swimming heavier to fight against the partial current it was creating so I turned it off. He seems to have settled fairly quickly into his new tank so I am satisfied :)
Thanks for all your help guys!

Pictures of his new home and him in his new home in links below:
http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps2c16893b.jpg
http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/a...psf0c1c718.jpg