Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-17-2009, 07:38 PM   #1 
bettaowner101
New Member
 
bettaowner101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Somewhere in Florida
A New Filtered 5 gallon Tank That I am getting Sunday

My birthday is Sunday and I asked if I could get a bigger thank. I showed my parents the nice 5 gallon cycled tank at Walmart that is only 30 dollars. I am also going to get a nice heater for the tank too! I am sure my betta will be much happier in there than the one he is in now. He is in a 1 gallon with an airstone, gravel, and a plant. How often should I clean the tank since it is filtered?
bettaowner101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:44 PM   #2 
SaylorKennedy
Member
 
SaylorKennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Illinois
Well, just because you buy a nicer tank with a filter doesn't mean that it's cycled already. You have to cycle it and it should take about a month-ish. I'm sure someone else can give you a link to good info on that.

After you cycle it, you should do about a 15-20% change a week since it only has one betta.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:32 PM   #3 
bettaowner101
New Member
 
bettaowner101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Somewhere in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaylorKennedy View Post
Well, just because you buy a nicer tank with a filter doesn't mean that it's cycled already. You have to cycle it and it should take about a month-ish. I'm sure someone else can give you a link to good info on that.

After you cycle it, you should do about a 15-20% change a week since it only has one betta.
Cycling will take a month??? Wow, I didn't know it would take that long. So, I have to have the tank sitting cycling with no fish in it for a month? I need more info about cycling. Btw, my betta is suffering with fin rot. I can treating with Maracyn 2 and he is very lethargic.
bettaowner101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:35 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Central Texas
Here is an article on cycling.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...ium-cycle-252/
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:40 PM   #5 
AlexXx
Member
 
AlexXx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Boca Raton, Fl.
You should spend the extra 6 bux and get the 10 gal! then you could split it :D
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:44 PM   #6 
bettaowner101
New Member
 
bettaowner101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Somewhere in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexXx View Post
You should spend the extra 6 bux and get the 10 gal! then you could split it :D
I don't have any room for a 10 gallon
bettaowner101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:57 PM   #7 
SaylorKennedy
Member
 
SaylorKennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaowner101 View Post
Cycling will take a month??? Wow, I didn't know it would take that long. So, I have to have the tank sitting cycling with no fish in it for a month? I need more info about cycling. Btw, my betta is suffering with fin rot. I can treating with Maracyn 2 and he is very lethargic.
Yes, if you do the fishless cycle. But I believe it would still be okay if you put the betta in there while cycling...as long as you carefully watch the water parameters. Always checking the ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites, etc.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:01 AM   #8 
kelly528
Member
 
kelly528's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Glad to hear your birtdhay is coming up so soon!

Since your poor guy is so sick right now, he will not be up to the cycling process! It's a really stressful procedure since essentially what you are doing is building up waste to attract bacteria. That is something we can talk you through later, but the first order of business is to get your fish back up to 100%.

Since the new tank is 5 times the size of his current one, you will no need to clean it as often. In a bigger tank all the waste products he makes are going to be spread out. You should be good to do a 100% water change every 5 days (you'll need to keep it extra clean since he is sick).

Also, I suggest picking up an ammonia test kit. They are only about 10 bucks and will help you to chekc that your fish's waste is not present in dangerous amounts.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:15 PM   #9 
bettaowner101
New Member
 
bettaowner101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Somewhere in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly528 View Post
Glad to hear your birtdhay is coming up so soon!

Since your poor guy is so sick right now, he will not be up to the cycling process! It's a really stressful procedure since essentially what you are doing is building up waste to attract bacteria. That is something we can talk you through later, but the first order of business is to get your fish back up to 100%.

Since the new tank is 5 times the size of his current one, you will no need to clean it as often. In a bigger tank all the waste products he makes are going to be spread out. You should be good to do a 100% water change every 5 days (you'll need to keep it extra clean since he is sick).


Also, I suggest picking up an ammonia test kit. They are only about 10 bucks and will help you to chekc that your fish's waste is not present in dangerous amounts.
Thanks. I hope my Betta makes it untill my Birthday but I have a feeling that he won't.
bettaowner101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:06 AM   #10 
ChristinaRoss
Member
 
ChristinaRoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
oh i hope he does hun, your going to love the upgraded tank and so will he! :)

good luck
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5 gallon filtered question?? newfishmom Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 17 03-28-2010 08:29 PM
Fin Rot UPDATE And New 5 Gallon Tank Filtered bettaowner101 Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 4 11-24-2009 08:34 PM
Finally convinced my dad to let me get a heated/filtered tank! :D ltshinthebetta Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 7 08-19-2009 08:54 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.