Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2009, 07:38 PM   #1 
bettaowner101

A New Filtered 5 gallon Tank That I am getting Sunday

My birthday is Sunday and I asked if I could get a bigger thank. I showed my parents the nice 5 gallon cycled tank at Walmart that is only 30 dollars. I am also going to get a nice heater for the tank too! I am sure my betta will be much happier in there than the one he is in now. He is in a 1 gallon with an airstone, gravel, and a plant. How often should I clean the tank since it is filtered?
bettaowner101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:44 PM   #2 
SaylorKennedy

Well, just because you buy a nicer tank with a filter doesn't mean that it's cycled already. You have to cycle it and it should take about a month-ish. I'm sure someone else can give you a link to good info on that.

After you cycle it, you should do about a 15-20% change a week since it only has one betta.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:32 PM   #3 
bettaowner101

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaylorKennedy View Post
Well, just because you buy a nicer tank with a filter doesn't mean that it's cycled already. You have to cycle it and it should take about a month-ish. I'm sure someone else can give you a link to good info on that.

After you cycle it, you should do about a 15-20% change a week since it only has one betta.
Cycling will take a month??? Wow, I didn't know it would take that long. So, I have to have the tank sitting cycling with no fish in it for a month? I need more info about cycling. Btw, my betta is suffering with fin rot. I can treating with Maracyn 2 and he is very lethargic.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:35 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Here is an article on cycling.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...ium-cycle-252/
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:40 PM   #5 
AlexXx

You should spend the extra 6 bux and get the 10 gal! then you could split it :D
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:44 PM   #6 
bettaowner101

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexXx View Post
You should spend the extra 6 bux and get the 10 gal! then you could split it :D
I don't have any room for a 10 gallon
Old 11-17-2009, 10:57 PM   #7 
SaylorKennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaowner101 View Post
Cycling will take a month??? Wow, I didn't know it would take that long. So, I have to have the tank sitting cycling with no fish in it for a month? I need more info about cycling. Btw, my betta is suffering with fin rot. I can treating with Maracyn 2 and he is very lethargic.
Yes, if you do the fishless cycle. But I believe it would still be okay if you put the betta in there while cycling...as long as you carefully watch the water parameters. Always checking the ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites, etc.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:01 AM   #8 
kelly528

Glad to hear your birtdhay is coming up so soon!

Since your poor guy is so sick right now, he will not be up to the cycling process! It's a really stressful procedure since essentially what you are doing is building up waste to attract bacteria. That is something we can talk you through later, but the first order of business is to get your fish back up to 100%.

Since the new tank is 5 times the size of his current one, you will no need to clean it as often. In a bigger tank all the waste products he makes are going to be spread out. You should be good to do a 100% water change every 5 days (you'll need to keep it extra clean since he is sick).

Also, I suggest picking up an ammonia test kit. They are only about 10 bucks and will help you to chekc that your fish's waste is not present in dangerous amounts.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:15 PM   #9 
bettaowner101

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly528 View Post
Glad to hear your birtdhay is coming up so soon!

Since your poor guy is so sick right now, he will not be up to the cycling process! It's a really stressful procedure since essentially what you are doing is building up waste to attract bacteria. That is something we can talk you through later, but the first order of business is to get your fish back up to 100%.

Since the new tank is 5 times the size of his current one, you will no need to clean it as often. In a bigger tank all the waste products he makes are going to be spread out. You should be good to do a 100% water change every 5 days (you'll need to keep it extra clean since he is sick).

Also, I suggest picking up an ammonia test kit. They are only about 10 bucks and will help you to chekc that your fish's waste is not present in dangerous amounts.
Thanks. I hope my Betta makes it untill my Birthday but I have a feeling that he won't.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:06 AM   #10 
ChristinaRoss

oh i hope he does hun, your going to love the upgraded tank and so will he! :)

good luck
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote