Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2009, 01:38 PM   #1 
nochoramet

Preparations for a 10 gallon, please help me

Ok guys, here we go. Sorry for this novel that I'm about to write, I just REALLY want to make sure I do everything PERFECT, I don't waste any money, and my fish don't die O.o
I am getting tired of my poor babies fins looking ragged from either fin rot that I can't get rid of, and me constantly scooping them out to change water. I'm getting irritated with changing the water all the time as well.
So... I am going to buy a 10 gallon tank, and my dad said he will help me make dividers for them so I don't have to worry about that. What I am worried about is how to make this tank as low maintenance as possible. I know there is cycling, but I have no idea how to do that. I've researched it, yes, but sometimes I am a true blonde and I really don't get it. If I don't cycle, what kind of upkeep would the tank require? I can't lug it to the bathroom to clean it out or anything like that at all. Nor really vacuum out the gravel... Sooo... what do you think I should do?
Oh and BTW I'm in a dorm, that is very small, one room with a roommate. So my options are rather limited :/
I hate to sound like i'm ignorant, or haven't done any research, but I am totally new to this whole world and the only tanks I've had are my 3 1 gallons that I change all the time. Please... someone help me out
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:47 PM   #2 
Calmwaters

If you get a tank with a filter it will cycle with the fish in it. Just be sure to get a good test kit, most of us use the API master kit, to keep an eye on the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels the tank is cycled when you have no ammonia, nitrates are 0, and nitrites are below 10. If you get a reading and it is more than any of these do a partial water change.You should test if not everyday than everyother day in my opinion. It could be that the tank cycles quickly or it may take a while so for now you will be stuck doing partial water changes. Also if you can get real plants it helps alot with the cycle process. A few months ago I set up a 20 gallon planted tank and honestly I only had to do a partial water change I think maybe 3 times. It was so easy. Unlike all the other tanks I have set up that did not have real plants. Thats all I can think of for now if I missed anything maybe someone else will chime in.
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:05 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...ium-cycle-252/
Here is an article about cycling.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:07 PM   #4 
nochoramet

Ok thank you both!
One question about live plants...can they live in pea gravel? Or should I use sand?
Old 11-18-2009, 03:08 PM   #5 
nochoramet

Oh and will cycling with the fish be ok? Or should I do a fishless cycle?
Old 11-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #6 
Calmwaters

You can do which ever you like. As far as the plants mine are in gravel and some people say they do better in gravel than sand because the sand can have a tendency to pack down not allowing for root growth, but I have never had sand so I can not verify. Here is a picture/video of my planted tank so you can see the gravel it is just regular aquarium gravel:
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:33 PM   #7 
nochoramet

Oh wow that is beautiful! Ok I was just wondering, because my dad offered me some pea gravel that he is buying for his Oscar fish, and I wanted to use it. Going for a natural kind of look. I'll be cycling my tank over christmas break, because if I start it now it might get neglected with my finals being week after next...
I'm excited though!!
Old 11-18-2009, 04:33 PM   #8 
nochoramet

btw my name is Amanda also :]