Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2009, 03:00 PM   #1 
Rhaea

My First Betta (is he setup correctly?)

So, I had a bit of an adventure on Monday. We recently got a five gallon tank and I decided to get a betta fish for it. So, I walked to the local pet store and talked to a worker there for like an hour, learning as much as I could about that particular fish. I have been keeping fish for over a year now in a 10 gallon tank, but just your regular platies and mollies.

Anyway, I decided to purchase three ghost shrimp and a betta. I also got a separator for the tank, so I could stick the ghost shrimp in there temporarily until we were done medicating my 10 gallon for its parasites it currently is getting rid of. So, I picked a very pretty betta that's mostly red, however his fin tips are turquoise and his body also gets a turquoise shine when the light hits it. The one I picked was fairly active, but on his side at the top. The guy at the store who keeps bettas on his own told me he was getting air and mixing it with saliva to build a nest. I thought it made sense from what I had read on bettas before that, so I got the betta.

Anyway, so I have my tank all setup. My betta has about 3 gallons right now, while the shrimp, snail and frog have about 2. This is only for a few days since we're finishing up the medication and then doing a water change and sticking them back in there. After that, the betta will get four gallons and I'm going to transfer my almost grown platy fry to the one gallon to give it a bit more room for a couple weeks.

So, here's the issue. My beta is almost always by the top and sometimes tilted to the side like he was in his cup. If the heater is on, he's always by it, but my tank is at 78 degrees, so I don't think he's too cold. I thought maybe swim bladder, but I really don't know since I've never taken care of a betta before. I also thought maybe it was the currently of the filter, so I experimented with mesh from a cut up net to displace the flow a bit. It seems like that may have made it a little better, but he's still hardly ever more than half an inch below the surface. Gah...I want him to be okay!
Rhaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:22 PM   #2 
AngelicScars

Sounds like SBD. maybe fast him for a few days and see what happens.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:33 PM   #3 
Rhaea

can you feed bettas peas for SBD like you can with other tropical fish?
Rhaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:22 PM   #4 
dr2b

No, peas for bettas are bad. It is bad on their digestive tract. Fast for a few days then feed frozen or freezedried daphnia.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:29 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with the daphnia.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:02 AM   #6 
ChristinaRoss

yes, daphnia is like a "cleanser" for their digestive tract
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:08 PM   #7 
Calmwaters