Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2009, 09:07 PM   #1 
molliefan09

Betta not eating

I have had Love, my VT male betta for a few weeks now and he was doing great!! I did the coke bottle deal with the filter to help with the excessive water movement but my filter doesnt always work so i have been doing extra water changes and testing. i noticed tuesday morning that he was actually laying in the curve part of the bottle but i didnt think anything of it because i know betta like being closer to the surface and he came right out when i went to feed him. tonight i did a 25% water change and vacuum and noticed i cleaned up about 3 days worth of food from the gravel and he still hasnt eaten tonights meal and he hasnt been as active although i did notice when i did tonights water change he had a rather large bubble nest built. In any case he is in a 5 gallon aquarium with driftwood, gravel as substrate, java mosss and a couple duckweed plants. the water tests good: ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 10ppm pH 7.6 and temp at 78 degrees....i have not changed his food since i have had him. I dont know how old he is as i purchased him from walmart...any help or advice would help...
molliefan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:46 PM   #2 
JamieTron

has he eaten at all yet? have you switched diets at all?
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:49 PM   #3 
molliefan09

Exclamation

nope still has not eaten. i ended up scooping up the food from last night before i went to bed so it wouldnt settle to the bottom. i skipped feeding this morning and fed him around 6:00pm this evening and now, 8:47pm, he still hasnt touched it. no diet change it has been the same pelleted diet since day 1 and it is even the same jar. i have only had him and the food a few weeks and i checked the expiration date on the bottle just incase and it doesnt expire till 2011....he is starting to look skinny and his color is fading. he used to be bright red with some flecks of blue through out and now hes not as bright red and i cant see any blue....
Old 11-20-2009, 07:03 PM   #4 
molliefan09

UPDATE: i fasted Love for a full 24 hours and fed him about 15 minutes ago and he ate his dinner!!