Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #1 
GuiltySparc

The Story of Claws the Christmas Fish

Hi guys, this thread will be the journal for my first fish tank. Here is the link so my original thread asking questions.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...g-tank-322482/

Most recent tank picture…

And so it begins…

I received claws as an unexpected Christmas gift. I've always loved fish tanks and aquariums but never felt like I wanted to deal with the maintenance. After getting Claws I decided that I would go ahead and tackle the challenge since I now had a fish and a responsibility to care for him. I read a bunch of stuff in the internet and picked up a Fluval Spec V, some wood, and some plants. After putting it all together it looked like this!

After a 24 hour settling periods I moved Claws into his new home and he loved it right away. The only thing that concerned me was the filter outflow power. After getting some good advice from other forum members I put a fluval pre-filter sponge over it and that calmed everything down. However, I didn’t like that the lack of surface movement was causing a film to build up so I set about fiddling with the nozzle placement to try and find a way to keep the water moving without being dangerous to Claws.

I settled on up and into the glass which Claws seems to like. With it like this, Claws will often pretend to be a salmon and swim will all his might directly into the outflow stream in order to jump up on top of the nozzle. Victorious, he’ll sit there for a few minutes before doing it again! He is an adventure fish!

Attack of the wood fuzz…

Some other forum members explained that this is water mold and common with new wood. My plan is to get a couple nails soon to eat this stuff. =D
GuiltySparc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #2 
GuiltySparc

First Water Change

Just finished the first water change and sucked up a bunch of mold. I think one or two nerite snails are on the docket for the weekend. Tested the water i took out and i think things are looking good. Fish has been in since saturday and i've been feeding a little extra to help get things going.

pH - 7.4
Ammonia - 0.25
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0

And pics!

Last edited by GuiltySparc; 01-01-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:46 AM   #3 
GuiltySparc

And Then There Were Three...

Last night we went out to aquire Claws' first set of tank mates, two nerite snails! The zebra seems to be a more speedy. After an initial investigation Claws has pretty much left them alone so that bodes well for their friendship. I'm hoping the snails will take care of the wold on my wood but even if not, they are quite pretty to look at.

This the zebra we named Stripe.
[/IMG]

and the spotted one we named Spot.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:11 PM   #4 
GuiltySparc

Another Water Change

No pics today, but i did the 2nd water change of the tank and the params are still looking good. Same pH, no nitrates or trites, .25ppm ammonia (but maybe a little less since the color looked somewhere between 0 and .25).

I've only had the snails in the tank for about 18 hours and holy **** do they **** a lot! Snail **** everywhere! I'm hoping shrimp will eat that...lol
Old 01-04-2014, 03:27 PM   #5 
oceanbetta11

pretty tank, geargos betta, and cool snails
wish you good luck with your new betta
oceanbetta11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:49 PM   #6 
GuiltySparc

thanks!
Old 01-04-2014, 06:10 PM   #7 
Joshaeus

Keep an eye on the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, especially now that you have inverts (which tend to be more sensitive to all three). I'd heavily advise keeping up on the water changes, which shouldn't be hard since the tank basically appears to be a modified 5.5 gallon.

I'm not going to criticize you for this, though, since you were not expecting the fish and did not have a chance to get the cycle going before getting him. If you (deliberately) set up another tank, try to cycle it by running the filter for about a month before getting fish and adding fish food to the tank daily.
Joshaeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:00 PM   #8 
GuiltySparc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshaeus View Post
Keep an eye on the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, especially now that you have inverts (which tend to be more sensitive to all three). I'd heavily advise keeping up on the water changes, which shouldn't be hard since the tank basically appears to be a modified 5.5 gallon.

I'm not going to criticize you for this, though, since you were not expecting the fish and did not have a chance to get the cycle going before getting him. If you (deliberately) set up another tank, try to cycle it by running the filter for about a month before getting fish and adding fish food to the tank daily.
Thanks, ya its a fluval spec v tank so only 5 gallons. Water changes have been fast and easier than I expected having never had an aquarium before. I've been checking the water parameters twice a week when I change the water. If I set up another tank I would do the fishless cycle (though for whats it worth, the advice I got on this forum said that fish-in cycle with a single betta in 5 gallons was safe).
Old 01-06-2014, 08:35 AM   #9 
GuiltySparc

Welp, my snails kept snailing around the one anubias and dislodging it from its sandy moorings so i now have a floating anubias. On the next water change day i'm going to see if i can replant it better while the water is low.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:01 AM   #10 
GuiltySparc

Nitrites

Test kit showed the first sign of nitrites last night so i believe that means the tank is working through the cycle. No nitrates yet but its on its way. I also had to replant two of my anubias after the snails crawled around on them and uprooted them.