Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-19-2009, 02:40 AM   #1 
srg42

Lightbulb Changing tank water

I am new to this forum and have a few concerns before I purchase another betta. This might seem like a pretty ignorant question but I am unsure on the proper way to change a betta's water. I've had 2 in the past and I don't feel like either of them may have lived to their full potential due to my ignorance when it comes to changing the water and making sure the tank is suitable for them.

Could some of you guys give me a step by step account as to your routines when it comes to changing water? It would help me out and ease a ton of stress I have about getting another betta.

I read the general betta care thread and was also a little confused about changing water 50% frequently... could anyone go into more detail on that?

If it helps, when I do get another betta I will be getting a 10 gallon tank so I'd really prefer to know the easiest way to change water in a bigger tank.

I apologize ahead of time if a thread similar to this has been posted already.

Last edited by srg42; 11-19-2009 at 02:43 AM.
srg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:38 AM   #2 
srg42

I've looked at quite a few tutorials on the internet for beginners and I grasp it all now. Please disregard this thread.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:30 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. If you have any more questions, plese feel free to ask!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:37 AM   #4 
New2Betas

I've got one for ya'll!

Well Iíve got a question about water changes since my first one is coming up in a few days here. When I first bought my little guy I put his cup in the water and waited for it to warm up to the temp of the water in the bowl for about 20 min. Then I added a little of the tank water, waited 30 min, then added a bit more and waited 30 min before releasing him in. I read somewhere to do this because of the difference in the PH level and so he does not get shocked. Should I follow this routine each time I change his water?
New2Betas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:04 AM   #5 
New2Betas

Also wanted to ask if I should add a tbs of salt each time I do a change.
New2Betas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:13 PM   #6 
srg42

i guess i do have another question as well... is it better to use like the gallons of bottled water as opposed to tap water? will i have to do less with putting chemicals into the water?
Old 11-20-2009, 12:39 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Tap water is fine as long as you use water conditioner to take out chlorine and chloramines.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:00 PM   #8 
kelly528

Yeah tap water is absolutely fine. In rare cases some people wind up with ammonia or silicates in their tap water but that happens very rarely. Just be sure to use a water conditioner. For a lone betta in a 10 gallon you are looking at about 10% per week so water changes are definitely not going to be a problem for you lol.

If you want your betta to live a long life, don't forget a heater as well. 78-82 degrees is good, with 80 being optimal. Bettas easily last 5 years and even up to 7 with proper care!

Oh and by the way-- Welcome to the forum!
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:20 PM   #9 
srg42

thank you very much for the advice. i will be sure to post pictures of the aquarium and whatnot when i get it set up. i'll be getting most of the stuff for christmas.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:43 AM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

We'll be looking forward to seeing some pics.