Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2014, 10:47 PM   #11 
Aus

Ooh. Now that sounds really nice. :) What a good idea!
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:11 PM   #12 
Betta Nut

Woot! Got Igavon upgraded.
I stopped in at Petsmart after work to check out what tanks might be on sale, and they had the Fluval spec 2 gallon on "clearance"... $36 was $10 higher than two other tanks I was considering, but I've really been wanting to try out a Fluval, and the price was right.
It's really not that much bigger than his bowl, since I think 1/2 a gallon is taken up by the housing, but whatever.
At least now he's in filtered water, with a little more room, even if it's vertical room. I really like the look.
And the fact it's glass.

I'll maybe get a pic up this weekend, but it's such a pain taking them!
I have to make like a contortionist maneuvering my big laptop so the camera on the top of the 17 inch screen gets at the right angle and distance.
For a really crummy picture.
If I had something better for taking pictures, I'd be spamming them all over the place!

Snail saga: Remy has decided snails are OK. He's not mean anymore, and even cuddles with them.
Yes, I said cuddles.
He'll go over where one is chewing on some gravel, nose around beside them, then sorta leans up against them and hangs out with his new buddy for a couple minutes.
Other times, the mystery likes to just freefall from the top of the water line once he gets some air, and more than a few times, he has landed right on top of Remy, who only slowly scoots out of the way and then checks to see if his buddy found anything interesting where he landed.
Betta Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:04 AM   #13 
summersea

Haha! Love the snail saga! I am looking to find a couple snails for my guys. Hoping my boys take to them te same way aren't has!

I can't wait to see the upgraded tank!
summersea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:38 PM   #14 
Betta Nut

Must.. stop.. getting... fishies!

This is the last one, for real. There. It's now in print, so I have to stick with it.

But... she was so cute! I had to have her! It was her, or a digital camera to take pics, so, you know how it goes.

Lulu, and no pics :)

She was tan with stress stripes in the cup, so I didn't know what color she'd be, but she had these pretty, gentle eyes that said please take me home. So I did.
She still hasn't really colored much, it'll either be blue or purple, and she still has faint stripes. I am sort of wondering if she's just a baby still. She's teeny.

I have set her near both Igavon and Remy to say hi, and the boys are all flirty and showing off. She just swims to the front of her house and inspects them. So cute! Wonder what goes through her head.
"Yeah, you're OK, but can't you do something more impressive?"

Her normal spot to sit is on Igavon's side, but a few feet away, and a foot or so lower, on another table. I don't know how he could possibly see her, but when she is there, he glass surfs on that side constantly, not flaring, but rather like he'd like to get a bit closer!
I only just now noticed it, because he stopped doing it soon as I put her by Remy.

No, I am not constantly moving her, she's only sat by each one once. I just wanted to see what they'd do. She's stuck with one gallon for now so it's easy for me to make the introductions.

So, the wish list now includes a sorority tank. I had no idea females were so endearing.

Wait.. I said this is it. Yeah. I did. "The last one for real" (til I get a 10 gallon)
Old 01-12-2014, 06:56 PM   #15 
BettaLover1313

I've been reading this every time you posted, but I finally decided to stop stalking and post lol.

Love your last post with "Wait.. I said this is it. Yeah. I did. "The last one for real" (til I get a 10 gallon)" lol made my day!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:00 PM   #16 
Betta Nut

Been a while since I posted, but nothing really of note til today.
Had to move all my tanks this morning because landlord was putting in new carpet.. Apartment had flooded out last weekend, and it had to be replaced.
Ugh what a chore, glad I didn't have any larger tanks!
Bad enough as it was,my kitchen and bathroom were stacked almost to the ceiling with furniture!
Somewhere amid the mess were my tanks, refilled and necessities plugged in.
Had to move them back to their regular places tonight after work.
Boy am I tired now!

I stopped at Petco on the way home to get a 10 gallon before their $1 a gallon sale was over. Future sorority!
It'll be quite some time before it's set up. I have nothing to put it on, so I am going to do a sorta DIY stand out of decorative concrete blocks and wood. Probably 2 tier, so I can put the smaller tanks on the lower level.
Maybe stain the wood parts so it looks "pretty"

Been talking to a seller on Etsy about making aquarium frames, and he's sort of psyched about it. I found him because amid his other rustic hand made stuff, he had an aquarium, very pretty, but too big for me, and way too much to ship.
So we're talking about having him make just a frame, unassembled, to go over a standard plain aquarium to make it look amazing.
Now that I have this new one, I can get him the dimentions, and see what we can come up with. Super nice person, very pleasant to work with. I hope it'll pan out :)
Old 01-22-2014, 08:21 PM   #17 
Betta Nut

So picked up the concrete blocks and wood today at Home Depot for the stand.
I think it'll actually end up looking kinda nice in the end. Can't get a stand nearly as sturdy for the $21 I paid, anyway.
It was funny, cause the guy in front of me in the line looked at my cart, said "entertainment center?" I laughed and said aquarium stand. He had made his entertainment center out of the same stuff, and I have too in the past, for that matter. I think a lot of people have, it works!
I'll get it set up this weekend, put the 10 on the top and maybe go ahead and get my boys on the middle shelf to get an idea how it'll look in the end.
I wonder where I can get some old-style thin rope fishing net with the floaties to drape behind it and over the top shelf... hmmm.
Hopefully I can get a camera to take a pic when it's all done :)
I am as much into decorating tanks/acessories as I am into the bettas themselves, lol. This is why I want my own store! I have it all decorated in my mind, and it's called Fresh Fins, hah. Specializing in freshwater fish and supplies. Of course it'll have a separate room in it called Betta paradise :P
Soon as I win the lottery, it'll be open. Yeah. I'm right on it.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:12 PM   #18 
Betta Nut

Incoming pics!

Worked all day on getting the 10 gallon set up.
One 32 oz cup at a time. *pant*
I had been sort of kicking myself for not just getting a 20 for $10 more, but now I am glad I didn't.
I thought it might be cool to take pics as I went along with it, so here they are!

Finally figgured out placement of blocks and tank for best support and stability:
Name:  new tank1.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  38.2 KB

Time to put in substrate! I went with black CaribSea Super Naturals, two 5 lb bags for the majority, then added a path thingy with some leftover brown pebble gravel,
then over the pebbles I added some white petco brand sand. The CaribSea brand is great, very clean and stable, but I wouldn't reccomend that petco brand.
It clumps up, flies everywhere, floats on air bubbles to the top, and is just really not very good.
Name:  New tank2.jpg
Size:  35.4 KB

Time to put in some plants! I'm limited right now on spending, so only bought two new plants.
Dwarf hairgrass, and an amazon sword. I had lots of moneywort already, crypt, and hijacked Remy's banana plant, since his tank is super overgrown anyway at this point.
I couldn't afford any hardscape or ornaments yet.
Name:  New tank3.jpg
Size:  46.0 KB

I also couldn't get any ferts yet, but so far my plants love me in other tanks without them,
so hopefully they will be ok til I can get something.

Fill 'er up!
Name:  new tank4.jpg
Size:  44.5 KB
Name:  New tank5.jpg
Size:  38.9 KB
Name:  new tank6.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  50.8 KB

Added my big snail to help with ferts, and Lulu is zipping everywhere in it, so much room for one little girl!
I'll be adding way more stuff to it in the coming month or two, and waiting for it to fill in before I start a sorority.

Also, had to come up with a makeshift baffle for the filter. I got the whisper 10i, because I really like the smaller version Remy has
in his tank. The thing is, his is adjustable, has a soft flow, and doesn't need a baffle. This big one though, is not adjustable and way stronger.
I would of got another kind if I had known that, but I am lazy to exchange anything as long as it works, so that big bag you see in the pics is the baffle :P
Old 01-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #19 
Betta Nut

Oh and took a pic of Igavon's new digs, since I hadn't done that yet....

Name:  IMG000073.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  27.0 KB

I'm actually not a fan of this tank, although I know others love the specs.

It's fine for partial water changes, but it is awkward to do a full change.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:02 PM   #20 
Betta Nut

So, I took a sick day today on account of a tooth abcess swelling up. Did a full round of water changes and minor tank rearranging.
I realized Wilbur, my rescue, hadn't said hi to everyone yet, and felt a little guilty about that, so took a few pics :)
His fins have not recovered fully, they are still quite stiff and not flowy, but it's not clamping per se, because even when he's fully flared, they are stiff and scrawny.
He's very friendly and loveable!

Name:  wilbur1.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  29.8 KB Name:  wilbur2.jpg
Size:  39.5 KB

Name:  wilbur3.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  37.6 KB

I'm impatient to get more stuff for the 10 gallon, and also Lulu refuses to come out of hiding when I have a big ole laptop up by the tank taking pics!
Name:  10G.jpg
Size:  35.2 KB
Name:  10G2.jpg
Size:  41.1 KB

Remy wanted to get in on the action too. He's my only one who loves to show off when it's picture time. Pity I can't do him justice.

Name:  Remy1.jpg
Size:  57.1 KB

Nothing much new, just a little worried about Igavon's tail.. The rest of his fins are in perfect condition,
but his tail has been getting bad. It looks like fin rot, not biting or tearing, but there is no edging on it.
I've just been going OCD about having super clean water for him and hoping to see some sign of regrowth, since it's been staying the same now for a week or so.
Otherwise, he's healthy, eats like a pig and poops like a horse, lol
(every single day I have to syphon out 5-6 poos laying on the bottom, food seems to go right through him)
I feed him more than Remy, and he's half his size, but he's still so slender. I wonder what's up with that.