Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2014, 03:19 AM   #21 
Betta Nut

Little updates and more pic spams. I picked up a marginally better webcam to take pics with tonight. I'm disappointed on the quality, but at least I don't have to maneuver my laptop around to take them!
Got my root tabs and flourish in the mail, so hopefully my DHG will perk up some now, it's been looking a little sad. :(
Petco had some HUGE hunks of wood with anubias in a tank for only $10, so I totally snagged one. Great deal, since usually they are just teeny little hunks barely big enough for the anubias stuck on them. The one I got has some nice little swim-throughs too, not that it'll show in the pic.
Also am giving the betta bulbs another go. I decided to follow my own advice this time and try to get them to sprout in their own little bowl so they don't sit and rot in a tank. Last time, only the onion plant grew. Figgures. Big ugly thing.

Well, here are the boys, the girl, and the slowly progressing tank!

The tank:
Name:  tank feb7.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  62.5 KB

Miss Lulu:
Name:  Lulu.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  71.6 KB

Shy Wil:
Name:  Shy Wil.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  63.3 KB

Sir Igavon:
Name:  Stink eye.jpg
Size:  41.1 KB
Name:  sad Igavon.jpg
Size:  41.0 KB
Name:  Cute Igavon.jpg
Size:  48.6 KB

And Mister Remy Lebeau:
Name:  remy hiding.jpg
Size:  48.8 KB
Name:  Blurry Remy.jpg
Size:  47.5 KB

I took a couple short vids as well, they probably will look better than the pics, but have yet to load anything up to youtube, ever.
Betta Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:39 AM   #22 
Betta Nut

oops double posted, d'oh!
well since it's another post, here's another pic :P

Name:  king.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  62.1 KB

Last edited by Betta Nut; 02-08-2014 at 03:47 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #23 
Betta Nut

OK, I made a silly video debut of Remy having "issues" with his snail buddy. He only does this when the snail has the audacity to interfere with his view out the front of his tank. I like to think he likes to make sure I can see his prowess with bubbles :)
He ignores it if it's anywhere else.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38J9XSFlZ38
Old 02-08-2014, 08:22 PM   #24 
summersea

Haha! I love the video! Remy is both hilarious and gorgeous! These guys have such personalities!
summersea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #25 
Betta Nut

Thanks! :D
And yeah, their silliness is best shown in videos I think, lol.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:19 AM   #26 
Betta Nut

I'm so excited right now!
I went to petsmart to pick up a few more nerites so I wouldn't have to keep rotating tanks for the one I have now.
Went to have a look at female bettas there to see if the color combo I have been watching for happened to be there.

You see, I have my heart set on a yellow body/ red fin combo, because I've been wanting to name her Zia. Zia is the New Mexico state flag emblem, which is a red symbol on a yellow background.

Well, as luck would have it, Zia was there, and sweet as can be. She also had super red cheeks and blue eyes which pretty much sealed the deal :)

So, of course that meant the start of the sorority, so I got 2 others. With Lulu already at home, that made 4.
I wanted to get more, but there were only 3 others, and they didn't look so hot.

I'll probably go to petco next weekend in hopes they stocked up for their 50% off fish sale. Ideally, I'd like 7 or 8 for the sorority.

I can't even begin to explain the feeling when it's time to let everyone loose.

I floated the 3 new ones for about an hour, with Lulu still loose to get aquainted, and to get an idea how everyone was going to act.

It was pretty predictable from that point. I took Lulu out after an hour and cupped her, then released the shyest one, the marble crowntail, first.
I let her swim around and explore for about 10 minutes, then let Zia and the red veiltail who had been most reactive to Lulu out together.
10 minutes after that, I put Lulu back in, and watched, entranced and enchanted for about 2 hours as everything unfolded.

The red one, who I named Dezba, navajo name for "going to war", had to duke it out with Lulu for a while to establish who was boss.
Dezba wasn't giving an inch, and now Lulu has reluctantly accepted she doesn't own the whole tank any more. There have been no injuries or damaged fins between them so far.

I think this has a lot to do with Zia, who is the most mellow gal ever. She doesn't make any agressive gestures towards the others, nor does she react in any way when she's being flared at. Totally ignores it.
She likes to hang around Dezba and stays near often enough to act as a diffuser between her and Lulu. She often gets right between them, distracting any agression.

The marble crowntail, named Quilla, is the scaredy-cat. And a piggy. I'm glad she's so interested in eating, because it'd be easy for her to be stressed from all the running away and end up sick.
She at first was freak-out darting any time anyone got close, even by accident, and her running away just made them chase her.
She's chilled out now though, and just keeps to herself poking around on the bottom looking for leftovers. Once in a while she'll go to Zia and flare, but gets ignored.

Sororities are so FUN! I'll be up all night watching them! I know things can change fast with sororities, but so far, things have really settled down, and everyone seems cool.

I took pics of everyone before they got together. The quality is god-awful, mostly I just wanted to show coloring.

Zia, the little angel who told me it's time to get this ball rolling! Her fins are redder than the pic shows, and body more yellow. Hopefully I can get a better pic soon.
Name:  Zia.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  40.8 KB

Dezba, who lives up to her name. Most of the time she looks a dusky dark red, but this one shows the other colors when she shines.
Name:  Dezba.jpg
Size:  40.5 KB

Quilla, the shy one. I think she's marble, but for now it's a bit of a grizzle. her fins in person are a pale turquoise at the base fading to a lilac color.
She'll grow into a pretty girl.
Name:  Quilla.jpg
Size:  49.7 KB

And Lulu, who has had to give up her crown for queen of the tank. She'll live :P
Name:  Lulu2.jpg
Size:  42.3 KB
Old 02-15-2014, 04:26 PM   #27 
Betta Nut

Well, sadness this morning :((

I woke up, and went straight to the tank to see how the girls were doing. Great! Still no evidence of fighting on anyone, and they all looked content.

But... Where was Zia?
Zia?
Zia??!!??
ZIA!!!???

Zia was dried up on the floor. I could just die.

She was so special, even after only knowing her less than 24 hours. My little blue-eyed peacekeeper. I don't have a lid, but my water level was over 2 inches, more like over 3 inches down from the top, I simply wasn't worried about a jumper :(

She must of been scared of the dark, poor thing. It had to of happened pretty soon after I went to bed, she was so dried out and I only slept for about 5 hours. She was so calm and mellow, she'd be the last one I'd expect to do something like that.

Well, now a towel will be put over the top every night, especially now that I went to go get an ADF today to make me feel better. Also got 5 pygmy cories, which are 10 on the cute scale. I had planned on picking up a couple more females, since I am down to 3 now, but the LPS I went to had really awful ones. They kept their females all together in a tank, which may be better than the cups like other places, but they were very scrawny and there were one or two dead ones.

There was some initial nipping at the cories for the first 30 minutes or so, but now they and the ADF are left alone to do their thing.

The girls are all getting along fine, so I am not in a big hurry at this point to get more. I'll see what's in stock next week, but if noone jumps out at me, I'll keep waiting.

I'm gonna leave Zia in my sig, cause I think she's still here, making sure Lulu and Dezba behave :)

Not much new with the boys, Wil keeps trying to get the girls attention next door to no avail, Igavon definitely is getting fin regrowth, and Remy has been mopey lately for some reason. Maybe he noticed he isn't the main star the past day or two.

*feels a pang of guilt and wiggles a finger on his glass for him to flare at*
Old 02-22-2014, 10:52 PM   #28 
Betta Nut

Yay for the 1/2 price sale at petco!

Lets see, what's new....

Am seriously regretting my ADF purchase last week. He's cute and all, but I am finding it impossible to feed him. The girls play tag with my net chasing them away from his food, but still manage to eat all of it in front of his nose while he lays there going "duhhhhh". I got him a little food dish today so maybe he'd start associating it with dinnertime. I managed to get him in the dish, but he just sat there not doing anything for about 3 minutes, food all around him, and wandered away. Sigh. I'll keep trying.

So the girls! I got 4 of 'em at petco, they had a nice selection of females. All crowntails I ended up with, they just had the best colors.

So far, have named two, others are stumping me.

Star is brilliant, she had her name before I even left petco, cause I thought "wow, she's going to be the star of the tank!" She's hugely agressive though. There is no doubt who intends to be top dog. The three who were already home never acted like her, she's relentless. I'm a bit worried she's not going to work out, but it's too early to tell. There is no actual fighting going on, but she chases the three who were already here endlessly, switching from one to the next. No battle scars yet on anyone or nipped fins, but I have a feeling that may be coming. The three I bought along with her are all so mild mannered she doesn't bother them unless they accidentally get in the way.

Quilla, suprisingly, turned out to be the bossier of the original 3. She started out the meekest. But she's the only one who ever dares to occasionally challenge Star. Star, of course, reacts by chasing her all over. Everyone else just tries to stay away from her, but she starts chasing anyone she happens to see.

Also got a glass cover while I was there, one less worry anyway. I don't need a repeat of last week.

I got some plants from Peachii thursday, so am doing ok in that department, although I picked up another driftwood/anubias piece since they were 1/2 off and all.... :P

So without further ado, here is the progressing tank, and new girls!

Name:  Picture 118.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  93.7 KB
Name:  plants.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  69.7 KB

Star (she's the only one I could get a pic of out of the cup) :

Fae, my other named girl, because there is something fairy-like about her:

Unnamed purple girl, she looks a little droopy here:

And finally the cambodian with red spots on her head and black markings near her tail:

I know she looks a lot like Zia, but the wierd thing is, she has the exact same personality o.O

I wonder if they were sisters.....

I have finally sated my thirst on bettas with this sorority. Now I can stop plotting on what's coming next :P

Anywhoo, that's the latest. I seem to only update on weekends, lol.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #29 
Betta Nut

All is well today on the sorority... Star has chilled out some, and the still unnamed red/white one has gotten very sassy when it comes to trespassers on her little grass patch. Little miss unnamed purple is a big pain in the butt for her. Funny how the two with the most personality I can't figgure out names for, lol. Here is a vid of their antics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6D6i0Ky4TE

Got frog to eat this morning, yay! The girls decided his new food is gross. I think it's a she though, since it has a little tail bud and no light spot behind it's arms. So need a name for her too.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:59 PM   #30 
summersea

They look great in the video! Very spunky! They must be entertaining to watch all the time. A sorority is on my wish list now!
summersea is offline   Reply With Quote