Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-19-2009, 10:01 PM   #1 
FishFaceMartin

Exclamation Bettas EATING plastic plants?!

I just introduced two new female bettas to my three females that I got a while back. They're all now coexisting in a 20H. The already established leader, Blue, faught it out with the bigger new girl who I named Ophelia, but now they're all fine and seem happy.

BUT I was watching them today and I saw the new ones nipping at a cheap plastic plant in the corner of my tank. It's a big rock with bamboo sticking out of it with plastic leaves. I looked closer at the leaves and noticed that they were almost all halfway gone from being nibbled! I never even thought that a betta would EAT a plastic plant.

I took the plant immediately out of the tank. Will they be okay? I don't know if they were swallowing it or merely ripping pieces off. Why would they eat a plastic plant? It wasnt like they were hunrgy. They did not eat the first night but they did the second one. They ate all of that plant in 2 days!

What's going on here, and will my bettas be okay?
FishFaceMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:17 PM   #2 
bettabeauty

Are you sure they weren't nipping on algae that is on the fake plant? My fake plants get algae on them, and my bettas totally go for it from time to time.
bettabeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:27 PM   #3 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Hmmm I've never had one of mine do that. Sometimes my females will pick things from the bottom of the tank. As far as I know, bettas aren't algae eaters.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:54 AM   #4 
ChristinaRoss

thats bizarre...........u sure they actually ate the plastic?
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eating, female, plastic plant