Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2009, 01:50 AM   #1 
BettaDaddy

Thumbs up Eclipse System 3? 6?

Hi All...

I'm new to the site and had a few questions before I jump in.

X-Mas is coming and I have it on good authority that Santa is going to bring my 6 year old daughter an aquarium. She loves Bettas when we go to the pet store. I've kept marine tanks in the past, but this small scale stuff is new to me. Here are my questions...

1. An Eclipse System 3 is all I would need for a Betta? I'm familiar with the concept of bigger is always better in fish keeping so would a System 6 be better?

2. Is this tank ready to go out of the box? Would I need to change/upgrade the lighting for a Betta?

3. Heaters...are they necessary for Bettas?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to immersing myself in this new little world with my daughter.
BettaDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:16 AM   #2 
Jynx

I have the eclipse 3 for my female and she really loves it- but if you're getting it for a kid you can of course fit more decorations in a larger tank.

Betta do need a heater if the room temperature gets below where they're comfortable- this will extend their lifespan.

also- since this fish is for your daughter- please please make sure to get a healthy fish and not one that may already be sick- it might be a good idea to get one a few weeks in advance and keep it with a friend just to make sure- but I guess that doesn't work if you let her pick it out. hmmm

Last edited by Jynx; 11-21-2009 at 02:18 AM.
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:19 AM   #3 
BettaDaddy

Thanks for the info Jynx.

The Bio Wheel doesn't cause too much of a down current? It won't send the fish to the bottom of the tank if it gets too close?
Old 11-21-2009, 02:31 AM   #4 
Jynx

if you keep the tank filled to the line it probably wont- it also helps to put a decoration or plants near there to break it up a bit.
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:18 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. As was stated before, either one would be fine but the bigger one gives you more room for decorations and plants.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:11 PM   #6 
BettaDaddy

dramaqueen- Thank you. Glad to be here.

Jynx- Thanks for the advice and the fish info. I'll have to figure something out there.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:13 PM   #7 
LaniBaby

i have 2 eclipse 3s. i'm not using the bio wheel in either of them right now but i do use the filter. the filter's a little strong for them, but it's cute to watch them swim against it to get their food. they don't seem to mind too much. i wish i had the 6, but i didn't have the space for it. they seem to b ehappy with the 3s, but if you have the space, i'd go with the 6 just to give your buddy some luxury. the 3's fit a heater, several plants, have sand on the bottom, some hiding places, etc. the only thing i don't like is that in both of them the box that holds the lighting components seems to have burned. it concerns me a bit. also, i have a marineland heater in there that occasionally makes the filter make an odd noise for about 15 seconds on and off throughout the day. the marineland people don't have a clue why. however, they're great when stuff breaks so i recommend their customer service. good luck!
LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:45 PM   #8 
chocolatebob

If you can't get one of the 3's or 6's, Marineland also makes two different 5 Gallon models, a hexagonal one and one made to fit into a corner. The current on my 5 Gal. corner model isn't too strong, but I do have a filter baffle on it. It would probably be about the same flow as the 6 Gallon.
chocolatebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:15 PM   #9 
SaylorKennedy

Yep, I'd definitely recommend the tanks. I too have two of the 3's. I've never had any problem with the filter current, and if it is too much for your betta, just put a tall plant in front of it, usually works. Either the 3 or the 6 would be great, as previously stated. You would have to get a small heater. I have 25 watts and just keep it on a low temp, and it stays pretty stable around 79 when I use it. The lighting is fine for bettas.

Just some things you should know, the light takes a couple seconds to turn on, but that's not a big deal at all, the acrylic is easy to scratch but I haven't had too much trouble with that. The one thing that does bother me, is that there is no small opening for feeding, so I have to lift up the whole lid a little for feeding time. They're all minor things and not an inconvenience really, but just so you know.

Here's a pic of one of mine.

Good luck. :)
I gave an eclipse 3 to my cousin with a betta for his birthday and he loved it.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:59 PM   #10 
BettaDaddy

Thanks to everyone for the advice and feedback. I really appreciate it.