Betta Fish Forum banner

can anyone help me? I'm new to heaters.

Tags
heater
973 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  amandiepants 
#1 ·
hello everyone I am buying a heater for my tank today my fish almost died yesterday. the water is way too cold its a one and a half gallon tank. I'm new too heaters and I'm wondering if a 7 .5watt mini heater what is too much? The reviews were saying it was fine depending on room temperature. the guy at the store told me it was compatible from one gallon to 5 gallons. also I'm wondering how to acclimate the fish with the heater? should I take him out watch the temperature and acclimate him back in? How do i do that? Also can someone give me the proper specs on water quality? Nitrites, nitrates, ammonia, etc. thank you all soooo much!

#2 ·
7.5 watts depends, is it adjustable or preset? For small tanks I like preset heaters. No matter how large the heater, as soon as the temperature reaches its setting (usually around 27 degrees Celsius) it shuts off, so you don't have to worry about it overheating. I technically have too much wattage in my tank, but with the preset heater I don't have to worry. Being in Canada I worry about my heater not being able to handle the cold temperatures. I've blown through several adjustable heaters. But getting an over-sized preset has helped with all of that.

As for acclimation, I would just put it in with your fish. It will slowly adjust to the proper temperature. This should be much less stressful than removing the fish and putting him back in.

#3 ·
I use this one in both of my 1 gallons: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12315584
it is not preset, it heats the tank to around 5-10 degrees over room temperature, so I know it's not optimal, but they fit nicely, and I always see the temp on thermometer between 78 and 82 for a month now. It's important to monitor a thermometer with these types, just in case.
The adjustables are certainly more optimal, I just like the compactness of these.

#4 ·
A 7.5W is probably going to be an always-on model, which should keep the tank a few degrees higher than room temp but will cause temp swings. I have a Hydor 7.5W in my 1g, and to keep the temps at 80* I need to wrap the tank in a towel. A 10W pre-set heater might be better for a 1.5g, though I've heard that they're notoriously unreliable. You could also get a 25W adjustable, more wattage than you need but you can fine-tune what temp the tank stays at, rather than hoping for the best.

And yes, for adjusting him you would just put the filter into place and plug it in. Make sure you have a good thermometer- I like the digital ones, but the glass floating ones are also supposed to be good- just don't go with the ones that stick to the glass.

Proper water specs would be zero for Ammonia & Nitrite, as close to zero as possible for Nitrates (In a cycled tank, uncycled would be zero across the board), pH can be pretty much anywhere on the scale, so long as it's steady and you acclimate your fish to it properly. Soft water will result in your pH changing more rapidly than hard water, so if you water is soft make sure to take care with water changes. Nitrites are more toxic than Nitrates, so if you have any in your water a water change is important. Without a filter you're likely only going to see Ammonia though, since it's unlikely to cycle.

#5 ·
Thank you all soooo much! I got the Marina 8w mini betta heater and so far so Good hours later at a steady 76.. There might still be room to climb I'm not sure. He seems much happier now. He loves his plant near the heater he hardly ever leaves it haha.

#8 · (Edited)
okay thank you so much! I unplugged my heater tonight because his temperature was about 84 and the outside temp was going to be in the eighties so i didn't want it to climb any higher. I'm currently at work and the temperatures going to drop to 67 I didn't plug in the heater just in case out fried him while i was gone. Better cold then fried. so when i get home in a few hours i can just plug it in.i wrapped about three hoodies around his tank to ensure out wouldn't be so cold. I hope he'll be ok?

#9 ·
He should be fine. I unplug mine in the day if I know my apartment is going to be warm when I'm at work. When I get home, it's usually reading 78. I plug it back in, around 7pm or 8, and it stays about 80 through the night. I have noticed though, since I have 2 tanks with that model, one heats higher than the other. Sounds like you got a warmer one. They aren't the best, I sure prefer the adjustables, but at least they reliably keep it warm.

#10 ·
He was fine with the tank covered up our temperature is dropping to 64 tonight but with 80% humidity so its not brisk. I don't want to turn on his heater tonight his water is still 82 i don't want to fry him. I wish i could get a preset in a 1.5 gallon. I never know when his water temp will stop in the middle if the night. I don't have any air conditioner flow/central air. Just windows open or closed.

#11 ·
Its going to drop to the forties and thirties today and i have no heat in my house so i put his heater on but i opened up my windows in fear of him being fried. I hope the heater will be enough. I hate worrying about it being too hot or too cold for him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.