Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2014, 03:20 PM   #1 
AngelOtter

Help with my 5g?

I have a 5g tank, with one beta at the moment. It has a heater, a few plastic plants, and a pyramid ornament. I would like to divide it, which I assume would be okay since each fish would have 2.5g? First off what do you use to divide a tank? How do you attach whatever it is to the tank and make sure the fish don't get across?

Also I need a filter, I've been doing weekly 50% water changes, but it still isn't as clean or as consistent as I would like. The tank I have came with a filter, which I no longer have, because Sobek did not like the current. Can anyone suggest a good filter that isn't an over the back type?

Also is putting another fish in with him going to stress him out? I would like to get another, but not if it's going to negatively affect the one I have now.
AngelOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:55 PM   #2 
Betta Nut

1) 5 gallons are ok to divide, as long as they aren't taller than they are long. There are a lot of threads here about do it yourself dividers, using easily and cheaply gotten materials. The main thing is to be sure the top reaches all the way to your hood, because bettas will gleefully jump over their barrier!

2) a good filter would be either a sponge one because they have low water disturbance, or some of the submersible whisper ones like these: http://www.bigalspets.com/whisper-in...ilter-10i.html (what I use)
The current is small, and what little there is is easily buffered if you need to.

3) as far as being stressed out, most do ok with a divider, but sometimes you need to position a really dense plant or something to obstruct the view.

That's about all the advice I have to give, more detailed answers can be found exploring the forums... This site is great :)
Betta Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:03 AM   #3 
AngelOtter

Okay my tank should be fine to divide then, it's plastic (acrylic? idk it's not glass) but it's about the same dimensions as a standard 5g aquarium.

Thank you for the link on the filter :)
Old 01-05-2014, 02:12 AM   #4 
Aus

You might want to reconsider the plastic plants.. they're terrible for ripping betta fins. Silk or living plants are better - but if you have living plants, you need a good light to keep them healthy. Some grow okay in very low light, but even those need some proper light to thrive.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:16 AM   #5 
AngelOtter

I had heard that, I haven't seen anything, but better safe than sorry.
My tank only has LED lights, and the light from the room, so I don't think live plants would do well, I will have to pick up some silk ones next time I'm out.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:18 AM   #6 
Aus

They really are better. Two of my fish had their own silk plant and liked to sleep on the leaves, even though they had live plants too, lol. And many silk plants are so realistic, they look as good as live ones.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:06 AM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:19 PM   #8 
Rocketships

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelOtter View Post
I had heard that, I haven't seen anything, but better safe than sorry.
My tank only has LED lights, and the light from the room, so I don't think live plants would do well, I will have to pick up some silk ones next time I'm out.
I have LED lights a pretty dimly lit room and have GREAT success with all types of Anubias live plants. They're low light plants and are very easy to take care of. I seriously don't do much and they sprout new leaves all the time and have grown quite a bit. : )

Good luck with your tank!
Rocketships is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #9 
Aus

I use LED lamps on -all- my small tanks, and low light plants do great (sometimes -too- great, haha, I just culled a ton of java fern out of one last month..)

A little anubias plant on some driftwood looks really nice. They're slow-growing, so won't take over a small tank. Java moss is nice, too, but I find it needs a little more light than java fern (which will happily grow in the dark, I am convinced..).
Old 01-08-2014, 10:51 AM   #10 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I'm a big fan of Anubias. Low-light, not easy to kill. You can float them for shage, hides and rests. And I think they're very pretty; so do my fish.

As Aus says, Java fern and Java moss are also rugged low-light plants. Your LEDs will grow them fine.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote