Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2014, 04:07 PM   #1 
nemo number2

Slight concern about water temp'

(Oh I am talking degrees C, not F)

I have read that the betta fish likes temperature between 24 and 27 (C).

Of late I have done spot checks and found it up at 29. It is summer here and so it is to be expected that things are HOT.

We are about to go away for a while and I don't want to come back to a dead fish. Especially as I just got him.

The pump is making a bit of heat - 2 Watt water pump.

But I have been told it must be running for the aerobic filter to work.

He is in one of those aquasonic tanks holding about 4 Litres of water.

What are the options to not come home to a dead fish?

Thanks.
nemo number2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:08 AM   #2 
CaidenT

Do a water change with cooler water until the temp drops. Keep his tank in the coolest part of your house. Bettas are pretty hardy and they can survive through pretty bad water quality. Do you have any neighbors you can trust while your gone? If you did you could ask them to turn on your ac for a while.
CaidenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:02 AM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

How long do you expect to be gone? Unless it is cycled and established, that 4L (1-gal) tank ought to be changed ever other day at least.

Your reference to the biological filter (is that what you mean by "aerobic"?) shows you're aware of cycling. Are you seriously trying to cycle that 1-gallon tank? Not that it can't be done. But I wouldn't be going anywhere if I had a fish-in cycle going in a 1g.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:58 PM   #4 
Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
How long do you expect to be gone? Unless it is cycled and established, that 4L (1-gal) tank ought to be changed ever other day at least.

Your reference to the biological filter (is that what you mean by "aerobic"?) shows you're aware of cycling. Are you seriously trying to cycle that 1-gallon tank? Not that it can't be done. But I wouldn't be going anywhere if I had a fish-in cycle going in a 1g.

Agreed, I need to watch my tank (my 1 gallon) every day to make sure the ammonia stays stable. I am trying to do a fish in cycle with my 1 gallon to see if I can do it with a filter and live plants. If I can't, I might have to break down and get another tank for my girl. XD
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:21 AM   #5 
trilobite

If you have a friend who has a cycled tank you could put him in their tank inside a baby saver so he stays safe and has good water quality
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:01 AM   #6 
Hallyx
Reference Team

A 1g tank can be cycled. But, I'd do a fishless cycle because toxins can and do build rapidly in a 1g. Religiuos monitoring and remedial action is required.

If you can get enough fast-growing plants in there, they can remove ammonia without a lot of nitrifying bacteria. That's really the best way to keep that small of a tank.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote