Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2009, 02:25 PM   #1 
Glockafella

Old Reefer, Starting a Betta Tank

My first post, heres what I got:

Top Fin Aqua Scene 2 Gallon Desktop Aquarium
Top Fin Power Filter 10 (80GPH)
AquaClear Biomax 30 Filter Insert
Tetra Whisper Air Pump 10 w/ airstone
NO heater, this tank has maintained 72 Degrees without a heater, the power filter must be putting out heat.

Heres some pics of my set up, finished cycling the tank last week.

I have been doing salt water reef tanks for awhile, Kinda wanted a cheap and fun Betta tank.
Attached Images

Glockafella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:39 PM   #2 
SaylorKennedy

I'd suggest getting a heater even though it's steady. Bettas prefer 78-80 degrees since they are tropical. You might also want something covering the top as bettas can jump.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:43 PM   #3 
Glockafella

Well I found a mini heater pretty cheap rated 2-5 gallon w/ no adjustment...I will try that, thanks for the advice...I am scared of cooking him.

I have lost the top and I am looking to pick up some acrylic to make a custom, tight fitting, top.

I have no plans on lighting so far, like I said before, scared of cooking him.

here he is:
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2009, 02:45 PM   #4 
Glockafella

Pic does him no justice at all...Blue nose, emerald green body, VERY bold red fins!
Old 11-21-2009, 03:18 PM   #5 
AngelicScars

Are you going to add anything to the tank? Like gravel/rocks, plants, hiding spots? They really love all of those things.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:35 PM   #6 
Glockafella

I am a fan of bare bottom tanks, It is much easier to remove poo, excess food, control nutrients, water perameters, and allows you to have high flow rates. I love bare bottom systems and mine has been very sucessful even with salt water corals. I have much less algae as well. Not to mention, the more rock and decor = more water displacement. In a smaller tank, water is premium.

Cons: some may not like the asthetics, but you could paint the outside bottom and/or sides

Also, you need good flow to get detritus sweeped off the bare bottom and over to the power filter pipe. Flow also helps the fish get needed exercise.

Yes, I know Bettas can be murdered by to much flow...My 80 Gallons an hour is not murdeous, but brisk. (0.66 gallons circulated a minute)

Having said that...I am looking into some black rock with some sort of asian decor. I am getting ideas now from looking thru this sites lovely set ups.

Last edited by Glockafella; 11-21-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:03 PM   #7 
vaygirl

Some bettas don't mind the flow. My fish isn't bothered by it but my tank is larger. Tango actually likes swimming through it. There are baffles you can make using a water bottle to reduce it if your guy doesn't like it.

As far as decor, these guys are pretty smart little fish. They need enrichment. They need something to interact with, look at and explore or it might stress him out too much. Think of how you'd feel living in an empty room all the time. It's not natural.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:50 PM   #8 
SaylorKennedy

Bare bottom is fine, just get a plant or decoration for him so he can hide. There are some pretty nice asian decorations at Petco that I've seen.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:53 PM   #9 
Jupiter

Bear bottomed tanks look fine imo, so long as he has a place to hide. He's cute!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:34 PM   #10 
Glockafella

Updated...

Got some great looking river rock today, a hydor 2-5 gallon heater and a little decor...fish looks like he likes it so far.
Attached Images