Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2009, 11:42 PM   #1 
JamieTron

Exclamation My first emergency! need quick advice

Ugh I bought a new tank 15 gallon and divided it for 3 bettas. My female got caught on her tank deco and could not get out I noticed her and saved her but now she has deep gashes in her back...no blood but a lot of scale damage (pinkish color) and her caudal fin is torn...I feel so bad. I had just put her in the new tank so I was checking on them every ten minutes...so it would have been ten minutes at the most she was stuck and jerking. Anyways I salt bathed her right away for 5 minutes and placed her back into the tank. She was kinda hiding, but now she is swimming about...her stress lines are gone. But I am worried since she lost a lot of scales on her back if she will pass away due to illness. Should I salt bath her everyday? Her tank water is brand new as of a few hours ago so it should not have any bacteria. I will change the water some tomorrow just to keep bacteria down. I feel bad that it happend she is my friendliest girl

any advice?
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:47 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry about what happened to your female!! I would just keep ther water clean for now and if that doesn't help then you can medicate her later. Just keep an eye on her.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:51 PM   #3 
JamieTron

Okay thanks drama I posted this in a panic yesterday. I feel dumb that it happened, but she is acting like her happy little self still and the peach areas where she had scale loss looks less bright now. Her fins should be okay, but her poor back...ugh...Maybe I'll give her a quick salt bath today again.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:28 PM   #4 
AngelicScars

Salth baths and clean water should help clear up the damage quickly. If you have it, you could quarantine her in maybe a 2 gallon. It is easier to clean daily and give salt baths throughout the day.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:13 PM   #5 
JamieTron

Okay that sounds good, I only have one of those 0.5 gallon tanks though that I use for salt baths. But she seems to be doing well her wounds even look a little better