Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2014, 12:57 PM   #1 
arportia

Red face Hey, there, fishy friends!

My name is Alicia and I finally signed up to be a part of the community after lurking in the shadows for a bit! Looking forward to sharing my progression with you all.

I am completely new the the aquarium hobby. I decided to go out one day and get myself a betta buddy because of emo issues and I found the perfect partner!

This is Picasso, my Passionate Hot Red-Magenta (with orange tones, and iridescent purple/frost blue notes) lover....I'm not sure what specific kind he is, maybe someone can offer up an identification for him.

I have had him since September and have finally been able to order a nice new 10g tank and heater for him that should be delivered this week.

I am so excited to decorate his tank and eventually get him some of his own buddies and real plants... sometimes i stay up until 4 in the morning pinning things on my pinterest board so I can purchase it piecemeal! @:)
Attached Images

arportia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:06 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Welcome to the forum! Your fish is a veiltail. When you are setting up your tank and picking out tankmates make sure to research cycling and what fish bettas are comparable with, if you need any help with it just ask.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:27 PM   #3 
eatmice2010

Welcome and like Matt said he is a beautiful VT betta. If You do get tank mates( You need to watch out and make sure if you get tankmates the fish you get are non-aggressive fish and make sure they do not have long fancy tails and are fast movers incase your betta is a picker. Also make sure since your tank mates are going to be in 10g that they don't get big. As a max I would stick with 6 small fish)
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:38 PM   #4 
arportia

Hello MattsBettas and eatmice2010!

Thanks for clearing up that he was a veiltail @:)

When I went to the local aquarium to pick him up, I held up every single betta that was there to figure out which guy was for me. The second I picked up Picasso, he was super alert, swam and showed off his fins for me! I had intended on getting a blue guy but I couldn't resist him. Even when I turned the bowl around in midair he still kept up with my eyes. lol <3 at first sight

Anyways, now he gives me "high fives" before I feed him and he is an attention *****. I want to get him a snail friend but I am unsure as to whether or not Picasso will eat his little antenna things.

One thing at a time I guess @:)

I will probably post my cycling questions the day I fill up the tank (or filter through the posts available).

I am trying to figure out which substrates to use, though. I think I would like black and white sand that I can "marble" or create depth of design in the tank, but I also want it to be beneficial for plants later. Any recommendations?
Old 01-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #5 
eatmice2010

With bettas I personally like nerite snails :D
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:48 PM   #6 
arportia

nerites are really gorgeous!
Old 01-05-2014, 04:52 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. Piccasso is beautiful!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:03 PM   #8 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hello and welcome to you and Picasso
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:11 AM   #9 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Sand is good for plants (you just need to add ferts), so if that's what you want go with it. Just don't expect the sand to stay in the same place and design for long =).
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:36 AM   #10 
arportia

Heya dramaqueen @:) thank you!

Hello, Romad

Nice to meet you both!

MattsBettas, After looking through some of the plant forums I think I am going to get organic mix and then lightly layer black and white sand in different spots to give it the ying-yanginess I'm pining for!

Also, am trying to see about ordering some of these paua shell chips(abalone) from new zealand to add some panache..
Attached Images