Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2014, 03:09 PM   #1 
scoobie

Please help my Betta!!!!

Water has been fine no changes to the tank or food. I've had him since May and no problems at all until last week.

Last week every time I fed him he ended up on his side at the top of the water for a few hours curved. so I stopped feeding him for 2 days and today he is in his sponge bob house nose down in the gravel.
Before
Attached Images

scoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #2 
Karmaca

I can't tell from the pics, but my betta has had a white fungus (that is now going away leaving him looking a bit gray) that has be on his mouth and head for a week or so. I got some Betta Revive from the pet store and he is now eating and starting to act more like he has been in the past. You have to do daily water changes during the treatment. I was worried about the stress, but was told that it is the only way to get a quick recovery. So, far so good. Hope this might help if you haven't tried it. It's not that expensive....under three dollars. Google it and you can find out more and if it might help your little guy...good luck!
Karmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:42 PM   #3 
scoobie

Thank you so much...I haven't noticed any white on him ..its like the color just faded from his body in 24 hours...so strange
Old 01-05-2014, 09:25 PM   #4 
ANHEL123

scoobie is he still eating at all?
Is he swimming at all or he is lethargic?
Was you able to see his poop? I just want to rule out internal parasites in order to know which medications you need to use. If his poop is white or clear he might has internal parasites.
You have Epsom salt and you wrote to me that you added 1/2 tsp. You can use 2tsp/gall. Make sure you dissolve it before you add to the tank.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:09 PM   #5 
scoobie

He is on his second dose of jungle lifeguard all-in-one treatment and I added 1 tbs of aquarium salt. I removed all the gravel out of his 10 gallon tank filled his tank half-full I had him in a Floating cup. I'm starting to see some white specs I did get him to eat too small flakes he still hasn't pooped his color looks a little better but he wouldn't eat Pea. I have his temperature at 82 he's laying in his bowl and less I tap it wont swim. It's almost like he started with swim bladder no ich I moved my guppies to a 5 gallon tank and am treating them as well.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #6 
Vounn

How much and how many times you feed him a day? You may want to feed him some pellets which have been softened with water, and feed him twice or thrice a day, each time in small quantity to ease his digestion.

Have you checked his body complexion? Is the body color consistent or are there any irregularities such as patches of distinct color from the rest? You may want to check for any parasite or bacterial symptoms.

Where does he spend at most of the time? How does he swim, smooth or rather awkward?

You may check on his gill flaps activity, are the flaps stuck open most of times?

I suggest you perform daily water change at 90-100% and apply some stress coat on him. Don't forget to test the water chemistry and apply conditioner.

Btw how is he now?
Vounn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:16 AM   #7 
scoobie

Before he got sick i fed him 2 pellets or betta flakes and sometimes for a treat freeze dried worms (1 every other day). He didn't eat anything for 3 days. He ate 2 small flakes yesterday and today. He won't eat anything else, i've tried pellets his treats and peas. if he's in his cup he lays there and swims only if i tap on the tank. If I let him out of the bowl he stays on the bottom. His color does look somewhat better, but i do see very few white spots and the tank temp is 82-84. Please look below at the pics from day Sunday and Monday. And let me know what you think. Before all this happened each time he ate within 5 minutes he was on his side floating at the top for a few hours then went back to normal. he hasn't pooped. I don't know know what else to do.
Where does he spend at most of the time?
How does he swim, smooth or rather awkward? when he does swim he looks normal but then he sinks.

You may check on his gill flaps activity, are the flaps stuck open most of times? Are normal one of them looked red like a sore but is better.

I suggest you perform daily water change at 90-100% and apply some stress coat on him.
so change the water every day at least 90%? what how do i apply the stress coat and isn't that also a conditioner? Do i still add his Jungle Lifeguard everyday to along with this? and what about the aquarium salt?
Don't forget to test the water chemistry and apply conditioner

Last edited by scoobie; 01-07-2014 at 10:21 AM. Reason: more information
Old 01-07-2014, 11:53 AM   #8 
scoobie

please look at my album..it shows pics of the last 2 days
Old 01-07-2014, 11:54 AM   #9 
ANHEL123

scoobie can you look at the back of the medications box and tell us what the ingredients are. I research and found conflict information on the medications that you using. I would use another one . Is there any possibilities you can go to the store and exchange the medications?
Old 01-07-2014, 12:05 PM   #10 
ANHEL123

I did look at the pictures too but its difficult to say if he is better or not. And i guess if he is not acting any better unfortunately meaning that he is not doing betterl. I wold also do daily water changes just like Vounn recommended. Alternate water changes between 50% and 100%. Switch aquarium salt to Epsom salt. If he has internal parasites the Epsom helps to purge them out. Try to feed him and remove uneaten food.
Do complete water change before you add Epsom salt. You can start Epsom from 1 tsp/gall and next day increase it to 3 tsp/gall