Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2014, 02:03 PM   #1 
ksamml

Unhappy New guy tail biting

My new guy is definitely a tail biter, when I got up this morning he was swimming in tight circles and has multiple chunks missing from his tail. I know there are a few reasons for tail biting, especially stress and boredom... how do I tell which it is?

If it is boredom then should I get him a tank mate?

Housing
What size is your tank? 5g
What temperature is your tank? 81
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Wardley betta food, tetra min tropical granules, freeze dried blood worms, frozen brine shrimp
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3x a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? When indicated by test.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API stress coat/stress zyme

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Not yet this morning

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Chunks missing from tail
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Swam in circles from when I bought him
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Just stress coat
Does your fish have any history of being ill? NA
How old is your fish (approximately)? Don't know, bought him this week.
ksamml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #2 
Eep Crood

Get him a plant, cave, castle, and some pebbles or other decorations to cheer him up. Rinse them before putting them in the tank! Tank mates don't really cure boredom, but if you want another fish you can certainly get one. It could just be the stress of coming to a new home, so if there is a light with or near the tank, turn it off. Don't move his tank around, keep it in one place. If the filter is really strong, either make it gentler or turn it off. Wait awhile and see what happens.
Eep Crood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:08 PM   #3 
Eep Crood

And just curios, what is his name?
Old 01-28-2014, 05:36 PM   #4 
ksamml

His name is Jamie, he already has a low flow filter, my tank is too big to move anyway, he has 6 real plants and a hollow log to hide in.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:11 PM   #5 
Eep Crood

He should be good. Maybe he is just stressed about moving into a new home
Old 01-29-2014, 07:26 AM   #6 
Eep Crood

And if you get a tank mate you have a few options (other bettas are best)
- female betta without divider. They will probably breed, which is a huge commitment, and it takes a lot of work and you need to do lots of research before you do do.
- male betta with a solid divider without holes, two male bettas, if able to see each other, will feel as if they always need to be alert and on guard, and it will cause lots of stress and excaustion and possibly death. Without a divider they will fight.
- female betta with divider. Your easiest way to go if you want two fish.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:06 AM   #7 
isntanything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eep Crood View Post
And if you get a tank mate you have a few options (other bettas are best)
- female betta without divider. They will probably breed, which is a huge commitment, and it takes a lot of work and you need to do lots of research before you do
Ugh. No. Not unless we are talking about wild species (which we aren't).

You can't just put a female betta in the tank without a divider. They will fight and it won't end well. Even when breeding, the female must be introduced properly and then removed straight away afterwards or the male will most likely kill her.

Please stop spreading misinformation.
isntanything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:26 PM   #8 
Taeanna
Reference Team

The rules for fish introduction are one male per area (and perhaps some non betta friends) or a sorority school of several females in a big planted tank.

Now swimming in circles is a stress behavior, your boy may be bored and its causing his problems. Perhaps swap out some of his tank toys for new ones or rearrange everything? A change up to the diet can help too. A couple of treat days where you give them bloodworms or similar is a good way to mess them about. Also perhaps teach a few tricks? it gives them something to get their little brains working
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:51 PM   #9 
ksamml

Thanks Taeanna, I'm not planning on anymore bettas and I definitely know not to put them together. I tried out a platty with him and he absolutely hated it and chased him relentlessly. I removed the platty and am trying to give him attention, I already mix up his diet. I will try and get him some new toys.

Tags
tail biting