Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #1 
RichardN

I think my little Frankie is going to die

Well, I've read everything I can and done as much as I can, but my little guy just seems like the end may be near. After a water change about week ago, he seemed to have trouble swimming and was sinking to the bottom. I tried fasting him for a few days and was hoping that would do the trick, but it didn't help. I have now lowered the water level in my 10 gallon tank to about 6.5 gallons or so to make it easier for him to get to the top.

Sadly, he's just laying on the bottom on his side and pretty much not even moving. I added some tetracyline treatment today as I noticed some whiteish spots around his face. Honestly, I have changed water, tried moving him to a 1 gallon tank that for 15 minutes both yesterday that had 3 tsp of epsom salt and hoping it was just constipation. I'm probably past the point of being able to save him, but thought I'd post here one last time.

I don't know if he has swim bladder disease or some other ailment, but I wanted to get any thoughts. I'm pretty heart broken to be quite honest and have probably stressed him out as much as helped him, but there is so much info (often conflicting) on the internet. I did try to put some food in there, but he's not interested in food at all. He's a couple years or so old, and to be quite honest, is probably lucky to have lived this long and I really didn't know how to properly care for him.

I'm finally at the point that I guess I'll just let him rest and not bother him any more. I will continue tomorrow with the tetracyline treatment if he's still alive, but I'm getting close to the point that I really don't want my little buddy suffering and have considered euthanasia, but I don't really have the heart to do it.

I should also mention that I did a water test today and the levels seemed overall OK. I took it down to my local pet store and the nitrates and nitrites tested normal. I also used the strips, and realize they are not very accurate, but I've gone all out to try to save him.

Any final suggestions or thoughts? *cry*

EDIT: Is it safe to add some epsom salt to his tank? He's the only fish I have in it. If he passes on, I may wait a while before getting another.

Last edited by RichardN; 11-23-2013 at 02:23 PM.
RichardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:24 PM   #2 
Kithy

If you can fill out some of the info here it will give a better baseline to help you on.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #3 
RichardN

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78 F
Does your tank have a filter? yes (not on currently)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes but I haven't used it in a while
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? beta pellets and freeze dried blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? daily - I think I've overfed him :(

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? varies .. not enough I don't think
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-35%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress Zyme and have added aquarium salt a couple of times (seems this could be a problem, not sure)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite: OK
Nitrate: OK
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Not really
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He moves even less now, just sits at bottom
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Started by fasting a few days, thought it was constipation. Started tetracyline treatment today
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 2 years old
Old 11-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #4 
RichardN

I should say this last thing, where he won't move and hasn't eaten, I really am thinking of putting the poor guy out of his misery soon. I don't want him to suffer :(
Old 11-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #5 
Kithy

Alright. For a 10g 25% once a week is probably more than enough with just a betta.

There aren't really OK amounts of ammonia or nitrite. if it's above 0 then you need to do a water change.

Can you get a picture of him?

Epsom salts are good for constipation but if you have added any AQ salt recently you may need to do a 100% water change first. Salts do not evaporate or get removed by filtration. I can't say for sure on the dosage though.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #6 
RichardN

Thanks for the info. Little guy is behind a plant and I'm going to leave him be for now. By OK amounts, I meant that according to the liquid tests, they levels were safe, but this was after I found some solution that I added in to normalize the levels, so it's possible they were not safe previously. I'm not going to add any salt. I just going to see if the tetracyline helps him out and if not, I may say my goodbyes. I appreciate the advice though, but I'm afraid to stress him any more than he's already been.

Also, I should say that I don't know about amonia. I did one of those test strips and everything looked OK. It tests Nitrate, Nitrite, Total Hardiness, Total Alkalinity, pH.

Last edited by RichardN; 11-23-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #7 
Kithy

If you think he's a goner you can do clove oil to euthanize him. I suggest getting it while the Asian or Indian spice stores are still open. I was unable to find any at 2am when I needed it for my fish.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #8 
RichardN

He's still alive and I'm going to let the tetracycline try to do it's thing tonight and treat him in the morning. If he shows no sign of improvement at all, I will go to Walgreens I guess. There is no Asian store near here that I'm aware of :( I have looked up how to euthanize him. I really tore up about it though, so I hold on for a miracle and hope that prayer works.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #9 
tiffanylucky

I would put the poor thing out of its misery. What's better, him suffering a slow painful death, or just letting him go. It's not helping you or him. I think that you did a great job of taking care of him and he had a great life. I would get a new betta if I were you after he gone. You can help another betta that has no place to call home. If you love him, then let him go I know it's harder said then done. Be strong.
tiffanylucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #10 
tiffanylucky

Also if you need someone to talk to you. The. Send me a privet message. I went though the same thing when I was 5. My poor cat spot who was 16 was starting to suffering from old age. Me and my mom would be unable to watch our poor cat slowly die in pain. So we put her down, I don't regret this.
tiffanylucky is offline   Reply With Quote