Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2014, 10:52 PM   #21 
ANHEL123

How much of the salt you been using? Usually when fish has internal problem Epsom salt is recommended. Epsom also helps to purge parasites out. I think you guy has internal and external problem though. So if you really think he is better after salt dips you can continue it. You can dip him more than 2 times if you think its helping.
Try to feed him throughout the day as much as you can, he need to eat to stay strong.
White poo indication of internal parasites or some kind of internal bacteria. I would still try to find General Cure . May be other store carry it ? Or if your store out of stuck ask when they will get it. See if you can find Tetra Parasites Guard.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:40 AM   #22 
scoobie

I used 1/2 aquarium salt to 1 leter of water and dipped him for 20 seconds. So should I change to the Epsom salt? What is the salt to water ratio? Also how many days and long should he be in it?
scoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:10 PM   #23 
ANHEL123

How is he doing? If he is the same or better, not worse i would use aquarium salt. If he is worse switch to Epsom. Whatever salt you will continue with you can just put salt directly in the tank. Always pre mix and make sure its dissolved before you put it in the tank. You can leave fish in that salt water and just do daily water changes. Alternate daily water changes between 50% and 100%. Pre mix new salt daily. Or if you have one gall jug you can pre mix it and use it a few times. It is recommended to pre mix for the right dosage. Just make sure you match new water temperature with his water temperature.
If you will switch to Epsom start from 1 tsp/gall on day one, increase it to 3 tsp/gall on day 3.
If you will continue with aquarium salt you can pre mix 2 tsp/gall.
I am telling you a therapeutic dosage. The box instructions for a preventative care only.
Unfortunately any salt that you will use will help with minor infection ,but will not get rid of the problem. If he has internal parasites he needs to be treated with medications. Or at least with anti parasite medicated food. But if he is not eating food medicated food is helpless.
With internal parasites it is better when fish is eating ,so he can pass the parasites out with the poo.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:51 PM   #24 
scoobie

He seems to be doing better. He's eating and pooing sometimes it's white bust most of the time it's red. He likes the breeder tank I've been letting him out to swim with the guppies. He swims a bit then he floats around and hangs in the top corners.
scoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:33 PM   #25 
ANHEL123

Oh good! Not sure if you were using aq or epsom salt but make sure you don't use aquarium salt more than 14 days. Epsom salt you can use for a long time though, in low dose(1tsp/gall).
Old 01-29-2014, 03:46 PM   #26 
Drache

Neither I can give you advise nor I have any clue what is going on but you're doing everything you can to help him. I keep my fingers crossed for your little guy.
Drache is offline   Reply With Quote