Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2014, 02:27 AM   #1 
CluelessFish

I Screwed Up, please help!

I bought a betta fish baby at Petco about 6.5 months ago and put her* into This :( because that is what the associate said that was all that was needed for Florida (the betta in question).

So I decided since Florida started getting a bit bigger aprx. 1.5" long. I might upgrade her tank to a little bigger and prettier. So I searched around for betta fish figuring there'd be a sub and oh my horror to discover that I have pretty much been abusing her for 6 months. Going on what he told me; follow the feeding directions on the flakes and water change once weekly. So Florida has been fed once a day and her water changed once weekly or so for the past 6 months in this teeny vat of doom.

So I am going to fix this but from reading I need to set up the tank and let it 'set up' for a while before putting Florida into it. I am not sure if there is a fish store semi-locally that isn't Petco so can I go there tomorrow get a 5-10g tank kit with heater, filter, and a few live plants set it up and be ok or should I travel to a bigger city and by from a knowledgeable location. I can also order off Amazon or the internet.

Tell me how to fix it please. :(

*I have no clue of Florida's gender I just went with female.
CluelessFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:04 AM   #2 
fidget

Sounds like you're on the right track! Florida will be so happy!
It might take her a day or two to get comfortable in her new tank so don't be alarmed if she doesn't act the same at first.
Petco is fine as long as you check their advice against other's. :) I think they're still having their $1/gallon sale. But it might be more cost effective to buy one that comes with a filter and lid, rather than buying them separately...you definitely need a lid.
You should buy a good food too! Everyone really likes New Life Spectrum or Omega One pellets or look for one that doesn't have fillers (like wheat, soy, corn meal) listed in the first few ingredients. I feed my guys NLS pellets- usually three twice a day.

Your fish is going to be so happy! :)
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:11 AM   #3 
fidget

Oh, a couple of things- you may end up wanting to make a baffle for the filter if the water coming out makes a strong current (it's really easy) and it's helpful to buy a gravel vacuum and bucket for water changes. A bucket that you never put detergents or soaps in.
Anyway, that's what I use.
Gravel vacuums are around $8 online and will make your life a lot easier but they're not totally necessary. Link!
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:20 AM   #4 
ynahanson

Yes. She will be happy. 5 years ago I had a betta in a vase. And I just learnef recently how mean it was. Now I have 1 happy male betta in a 10 gallon tank and 3 females in another 10 gallon tank, hoping to get 2 more soon!
Looks like you're on the right track. :) I still go to my LPS even tho whenever I go there they seems not to know much. What I just do is to make sure to read up about what I should get first and why, then head on over to the store.
ynahanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:24 AM   #5 
Aus

Awh, don't feel bad -- this is what happens when greedy shops don't educate their staff.. At least your fish is in a nice caring home and not perished in a filthy store cup, think of it that way!

I would recommend maybe -slowly- upping your water changes before moving your fish into a bigger tank. Bettas -hate- change.. even good change stresses them out, and new water conditions can too. So maybe increase your water changes to twice a week, before moving to the new tank so s/he has a chance to get used to it. Maybe do that while your tank is cycling (this can take a few weeks..).

Sponge filters are pretty awesome if you don't mind an external pump. Silk plants or live ones, if you get a good light, will help reduce stress too by giving Florida something soft to hide in.

Good luck! And don't feel bad! Clearly, you were taking as good care as you knew how to, and Florida is fine, so all is well!
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:39 AM   #6 
Polkadot

If you are going to buy a 5 - 10 gallon tank you can put Florida in straight away once it's set up,and I would recommend very highly buying some bottled bacteria like Seachem Stabilty,which will help start the cycle.1 betta in a tank that size will be fine to do a fish in cycle,just make sure to do your weekly water changes.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #7 
Galaxy

That's great you've decided to upgrade your tank! I've had quite a few misconceptions myself when I first started out. I first had her in a tiny bowl without heater or filter, and I had plastic plants. :( That only lasted a few days though once I found this site!

What I recommend getting:
Silk plants
(Here's some pretty ones on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...20silk%20plant)

Real plants easy to care for: Anubias barteri, Anachris, hornwort, Watesprite. Frogbit, Duckweed

Seachem Prime (Water conditioner used for water changes. Cost: $7-12)

Heater: 25 watt for 5 gallon tank, or 50watt for 10 gallon (A couple heaters most people recommend are Eheim Jagger heaters, or Aqueon submersible heater. They cost around $25)

Glass thermometer ($3 at pet store)

Hidey holes (something your fish can swim into and feel safe. There's a wide selection at pet stores. My betta loves the betta log. Usually cost around $6 for a medium-small one)

Gravel Vacuum w/ Bucket (Vacuum costs around $8, bucket $10)

API Master Test kit (this is for testing your water quality to make sure your betta isn't in bad water. You need a test kit to start cycling a tank. $20)

Good betta food (you could also buy her some treats if you like; bettas love freeze dried blood worms. $3-5)

It is best, as someone said above, to make sure the tank you get comes with a lid and light. ^^ Bettas sometimes jump from their tanks.

I might recommend getting an aquarium kit. They come with tank, lid, light, and filter. I recently bought the Top Fin 5.5 gallon aquarium kit, and it's been fine. Just make sure to read some reviews on the aquarium kits first. Some have awful reviews.

Good luck getting everything set up! :) I'm sure everyone would love to see a picture when it's all done!
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:37 PM   #8 
CluelessFish

Thanks for the advice last night everyone! I went to Petco and explained the situation and want I wanted. They explained the 1$g sale but after my rewards and a coupon it was a better (cheaper) deal to get a 10g LED tank with a heater and filter. I did sand and gravel, rinsed both and made the surface bumpy so it wasn't flat. I got some east tank plants and a moss ball (I noticed teeny snails on the leafs after I got them in the tank will Florida just eat those?), put in the water cleanser and bacteria (two different bottles of stuff) and now that the heater has the tank at 80* I have her in a bag floating in the water. Thank you all again for your help. I'll make sure and post a good picture of her after she's out of the bag. It is exciting to see such a pretty tank! I used an old teapot of mine for her hide!

Here is a picture of her new set up!

http://imgur.com/a/VKgyO

Can anyone confirm gender for me?
CluelessFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:53 PM   #9 
Galaxy

Aww, her tank setup is lovely! :* Love it!

And, she looks a lot like my female betta, except she's more blue! She isn't a crowntail or double tail. I'm not sure of her tail type. :/ Females are rather hard to tell. She's super cute though!

Also, although I think she's a female, one way to tell for certain is to look between her two long bottom fins for a small white spot. That's an egg pouch. ^^

Last edited by Galaxy; 01-06-2014 at 09:59 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote