Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2014, 11:47 AM   #1 
Brennaamorgann

Possible parasite?

Yes.. it's me again. This morning I woke up and noticed my betta not moving at the bottom corner of his tank. I stood there for awhile watching him, moved my finger in his eye sight, no movement. I touched my finger on the lid to make a little noise and he jumped up, fins popped out and then moved backwards as to get out of the corner, and then went back to the corner. I walked out of my room to let my dog out and came back and he was on the bottom again not moving. I went ahead and started doing things around my room and then looked over and he was swimming to the top to breathe (I breathed a sigh of relief here.) I went over and grabbed his food, and showed him that it was time for breakfast. He went to the corner and looked up at me (the most social he's been since I brought him home.) and he ate 3 pellets and spit two out. (I'll get them from the bottom of the tank later, I think it's to early in the morning to stress him out.) but as I was sitting there watching him flaunt his stuff around the tank (he was puffing his fins out, usually they're clamped and he's hiding) I noticed something hanging off of him. it's clear, kinda long and stringing, before before his fins. I googled where the "anus" is and it appears to be on the other side of the ventral? fins. Could this be a beard? or does the beard not hang off the body?
Brennaamorgann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:54 AM   #2 
eatmice2010

Him in the corner was him sleeping, nothing to worry about there. The beard is what the betta flares out of there gills when in fight mode.

If you can, can you post a clear pic of it.
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:55 AM   #3 
Brennaamorgann

I can TRY to get a picture. I was trying to as soon as I saw it but it's hard to see since it's clear. Right now he's hiding in his plants so I'll try to get him out and possibly turn on his tank light to help view.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:00 PM   #4 
eatmice2010

Ok thank you :D
Old 01-06-2014, 12:10 PM   #5 
Brennaamorgann

Okay, I know I got at least one picture where you can kinda see it. It being clear makes it hard to.

In this first picture you will see under his head is a small bump. If you look closely you will see the clear "fin like" object. It IS there, but you might mistake it for light or other things.

Here is the link to the image since it's so huge.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/20...le-d7141ul.jpg

IMAGE LINK ^
Old 01-06-2014, 12:23 PM   #6 
eatmice2010

Ok It is a blurry pic so it is hard to see but I do see something. That said would you be willing to search the web and find a pic of the thing that looms similar. Because for use to truly give help we must see exactly what your seeing.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:40 PM   #7 
Brennaamorgann

I've been trying to but can't really find a picture of it ..so it's definitely not a beard? I'll search around some more for a similar picture.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #8 
Brennaamorgann

Here we go.. as far as I can tell this Betta has something close... except I think Louie's is where that bump is on the neck.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s88/betta2.jpg

Now on Louie is looks smaller..more folded back.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:29 PM   #9 
sainthogan

He may have a parasite. Poo should look brown or red and is usually not stringy. Parasites are usually seen by white or clear stringy poo, so my guess is that he does indeed have a parasite.
His beard is the red part you are seeing under his gills.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #10 
Brennaamorgann

Oh no. :( How should I go about treating this? Is he in any danger from this? I changed his water 50% last night..

Tags
external, parasite